News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Played golf for the first time. It's not a sport.

HVC

Quote from: Maladict on June 06, 2023, 02:47:09 PMPlayed golf for the first time. It's not a sport.

It's a good walk ruined.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2023, 01:44:04 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2023, 01:33:55 PMI think the PGA is structured as a non profit membership organization like the NCAA.

Yeah I've finally seen that.

This strongly smells of a way to structure the deal such that the PGA Tour maintains its non-profit status but winds up controlled by the Saudis.

So who made money off the deal? Board members? Seems a weird move if no one profited.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on June 06, 2023, 02:49:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2023, 01:44:04 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2023, 01:33:55 PMI think the PGA is structured as a non profit membership organization like the NCAA.

Yeah I've finally seen that.

This strongly smells of a way to structure the deal such that the PGA Tour maintains its non-profit status but winds up controlled by the Saudis.

So who made money off the deal? Board members? Seems a weird move if no one profited.

Well, yeah.  Board members.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

It didn't even need to be a success for Liv to win.

What a collapse by the PGA.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

With the final season of Picard it's been more than 15 years now, but still. :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on June 07, 2023, 12:51:54 AMWith the final season of Picard it's been more than 15 years now, but still. :P

I think it's a good idea!

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Is it just me or is there quite a trend for cities with U in their name to write it old school with a V on graphics.

Big thing in Edinburgh and I'm sure I've seen it a bunch of other places though they're not coming to me from the top of my hy head - I think Dublin might a bit?
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Josquius on June 08, 2023, 03:01:05 AMIs it just me or is there quite a trend for cities with U in their name to write it old school with a V on graphics.

Big thing in Edinburgh and I'm sure I've seen it a bunch of other places though they're not coming to me from the top of my hy head - I think Dublin might a bit?

Or maybe even:
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=0c3bbf217d11e93fJmltdHM9MTY4NjE4MjQwMCZpZ3VpZD0yYzVlZmJjZi0xODI3LTYxNjgtMmEwNy1lOGM1MTlhZDYwMGMmaW5zaWQ9NTQ1MA&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=2c5efbcf-1827-6168-2a07-e8c519ad600c&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucmVkZGl0LmNvbS9yL091dE9mVGhlTG9vcC9jb21tZW50cy82ZWxjMjkvd2h5X2lzX3NvY2lhbF9tZWRpYV9yZXBsYWNpbmdfbGV0dGVyX2FzX3dpdGgv&ntb=1
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Watching Star trek Picard. One character says "has character x always been this arch"

Is this an actual expression or some sort of invented future yoof speak? Can't say I've ever heard it. Meaning?
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

I think I have heard that as being short for 'archetypal' like you are being a stereotype of whatever you identify as. But who knows if that was what that character meant in the show.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

To be arch is to enjoy the fact that you know something that the others with you don't know.  An arch character would smirk at the statewment of another but not explain what they find so funny.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

I think of superior/smug and ironic.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Heard on NPR that rats didn't make it from the East Coast of North America to Saskatchewan Canada until 1920.