The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I'm guessing I'm getting a bunch of Marine Corps memes on Facebook because it's memorial day.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

There is so much doom and gloom in the media that you sometimes forget that there is actual progress too...

Samesex marriage over the last twenty years:

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2023, 08:18:50 PMI guess what I'm trying to get at is did Hindus eat pork before the Mughal conquest, and if they did, what was the mechanism whereby they largely stopped.

I don't expect anyone to have a ready answer.
I believe it's eaten in parts of India besides Goa.  I think you don't find it at many Indian restaurants (outside of vindaloo dishes) because so many Indians are Muslims and can't eat it, and besides Goa I think the parts of India where it's eaten don't send a lot of immigrants to the US/Britain.

Similarly, beef is actually eaten by Hindus in some states but most other Hindus find it so offensive that you're probably not going to find beef served in any typical Indian restaurant.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

I had not even considered the possibility that the people running Indian restaurants here might be Muslim.

Sheilbh

Yeah lots of more standard "Indian" restaurants may be run by Pakistanis or Bangladeshis.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I do remember there was a restaurant run by Pakistanis in Seoul which specifically called itself a Pakistani restaurant.

And of course there's Jerry Seinfeld's Pakistani restaurant.

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 30, 2023, 08:52:00 PMYeah lots of more standard "Indian" restaurants may be run by Pakistanis or Bangladeshis.

A fair amount of cheaper "Italian" places are run by Pakistanis here. An Italian student I knew signed up for a waiter job - and had to change his name. All the Pakistani staff had adopted an Italian name to keep up appearances and his real name was already taken. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

From the series: "Headlines that if they were fiction would be rejected as too unrealistic."
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

I've ran into restaurants saying they're bengali or punjabi but never Bangladeshi or Pakistani :hmm:

But yes. Pretty sure most Indian restaurants are pakistsni
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Around here restaurants are run by Greeks, no matter the cuisine they sell.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 30, 2023, 08:52:00 PMYeah lots of more standard "Indian" restaurants may be run by Pakistanis or Bangladeshis.
Of the Indian places I've frequented where I've either talked with the owner or known someone who knows them, one was owned by Pakistanis and the other by Gujaratis.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HVC

Here a lot of Tamils own restaurants. The ones from India have the normal (western) Indian fare, but a lot of restaurants are Sri Lankan. It's awesome, but if you're not careful you'll hurt yourself :D . Sri Lankan spice is no joke.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on May 31, 2023, 01:05:59 AMI've ran into restaurants saying they're bengali or punjabi but never Bangladeshi or Pakistani :hmm:

But yes. Pretty sure most Indian restaurants are pakistsni

I think it's just because of where your immigrants are coming from.

Pretty sure most of our Indian restaurants are run by Punjabis, at least going by names and languages spoken (top 5 non-english languages spoken in Edmonton are Tagalog, Punjabi, Cantonese, Mandarin and Arabic, in that order).

Of course if you want to look at restaurant workers more generally they're overwhelmingly Filipino, but they tend to work more at fast food or corporate places, rather than run their own restaurants (although there are a few homestyle Filipino restaurants in town).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.