News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 23, 2023, 08:27:45 AMBut winter is very long and really very, very samey. Not sure how much longer I can go cycling through potatoes, carrots, onions with parsnips/celeriac/cauliflower :weep:

Struggling with the lack of tomatoes?  :P

Quote from: Josquius on February 23, 2023, 08:32:35 AMPotato is life.

I thought it was Sheilbh the one with Irish heritage.

Grey Fox

Potato is life*

*From someone who actually lives in the new world ;)

Yes, Sheilbh, seasonal in the winter means few vegetables and mostly all roots. That's kind of why you need... meat for it to work.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

You could jazz things up with some turnips Squeeze! :yeah:

Woops, Shelf.  Odd error.

Sheilbh

I now know turnips are actually summer veg - they just feel like they should be winter :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I'm blown away.

I could have sworn Holland had a turnip winter during WWII.

The Larch

The Larch

Do you get collards in your veggie package? You can make some delicious Portuguese caldo verde with them and some potatoes.  :mmm:

You might want to cheat on your lent promise and add some chorizo anyway, I don't think a vegan alternative works for this.

Sheilbh

We're all right! Same plant - small/baby turnip season = summer; mature turnip = winter. Though I've not received any :hmm:

I'm not sure we get collard greens in the UK - I've never seen them and only really know about them from the US. I don't know if they maybe have a different name here?

But yes in fairness the weeks when I got kale were very exciting and we're starting to get spring greens now - and can definitely do a vegan caldo verde in the future. Used this week's spring greens in a greens and chickpea curry :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

I *think* kale is basically the same thing.

It appears I'm wrong, but can aparently still be substituted

And caldo verde is made with portuguese kale, which is different from both normal kale and collard greens. So there you go lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Quote from: HVC on February 23, 2023, 10:41:28 AMI *think* kale is basically the same thing.

It appears I'm wrong, but can aparently still be substituted

It's all the same species (Brassica oleracea), which has tons of varieties depending on the part of the plant you want to eat.

QuoteBrassica oleracea is a plant species from family Brassicaceae that includes many common cultivars used as vegetables, such as cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts, collard greens, Savoy cabbage, kohlrabi, and gai lan.

HVC

It's the magic plant with the weird triploid genome. Our diet would be a lot less varied without it

Also, now I want some caldo verde. My family cuts the kale much thinner then your picture though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Quote from: HVC on February 23, 2023, 10:49:42 AMIt's the magic plant with the weird triploid genome. Our diet would be a lot less varied without it

Also, now I want some caldo verde. My family cuts the kale much thinner then your picture though.

I want caldo verde too. I love it in winter, and today temperatures have dropped.

I'm also used to having the greens much more shredded than in the picture.

Sheilbh

Incidentlly at the risk of triggering our Iberian contingent - I actually already have some vegan chorizo :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 23, 2023, 01:04:27 PMIncidentlly at the risk of triggering our Iberian contingent - I actually already have some vegan chorizo :ph34r:

:console:

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 23, 2023, 08:27:45 AMRelatedly I wanted to eat more seasonally so signed up for a veg box - and I went for the organic, UK produce box thinking that would definitely be very seasonal. As a city person I have literally no idea what's seasonal so need help.

And in general it has been really good. It's got me cooking new dishes etc which is what I wanted.

But winter is very long and really very, very samey. Not sure how much longer I can go cycling through potatoes, carrots, onions with parsnips/celeriac/cauliflower :weep:

What?  No beets?  :weep:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.