News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 06, 2023, 03:41:54 PMWell, almost says R.F.A (République Fédérale d'Allemagne i.e Federal Republic of Germany) over here, the German embassy still shows it in French and German of course, since the reunification as well, but then formal endonyms ≠ common parlance exonyms.
Sure, the formal names, e.g. French Republic, are never used. But using France or Germany instead is different from using Great Britain, as the latter excluded part of the UK, whereas the former designte the whole country. A similar example is calling the Netherlands Holland.

Savonarola

Smithsonian Magazine has digital renderings of some of Frank Lloyd Wright's unrealized buildings:

Gordon Strong Automobile Objective:

Broadacre City:

Lake Tahoe Summer Colony:

Arizona Capitol Building:

Morris House:

National Life Insurance Building:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

One of these things is not like others...

I get a Brazil vibe from the big green thing.

Sheilbh

I understand that the Canadians (or at least GF) think this is mad - but beavers now re-introduced to London :w00t:
https://inews.co.uk/news/environment/england-urban-beavers-london-park-2128150
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 06, 2023, 03:34:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 06, 2023, 11:39:11 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 06, 2023, 10:47:43 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 06, 2023, 10:29:31 AMWho is talking about soldiers?

Nobody but Josquius.  :lol:

Incidentally, the French Foreign Legion is well-known for teaching quickly very practical French skills to foreigners of all persuasions and "favoured learning styles".

It would be the last resort for Josquius I guess.  :P

Frequent physical hazing is big motivator for language learning  :ph34r:

Yeah, failing at a dictée would be the least of his problems.  :P
That or having a significant rap sheet; the Légion is a haven in some cases, not (too) violent.

Dictée du jour :

"La Légion est notre patrie"
(Legio Patria Nostra for those who are French language-challenged à la you know whom).

eh!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 06, 2023, 07:55:10 PMI understand that the Canadians (or at least GF) think this is mad - but beavers now re-introduced to London :w00t:
https://inews.co.uk/news/environment/england-urban-beavers-london-park-2128150

A possibly even more destructive middle class self-indulgence than that is burning wood to feel smug:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/feb/06/rise-in-wood-burners-in-uk-likely-creating-new-pollution-hotspots-in-affluent-areas

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on February 06, 2023, 01:02:14 PMTurkiye is silly enough but I increasingly see places using the proper accent marks, which mean nothing to English speakers. That's mad.

Quote from: The Larch on February 06, 2023, 11:14:42 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 06, 2023, 10:49:18 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 06, 2023, 10:29:31 AMWho is talking about soldiers?
Its an example of someone who would have different needs?

But what's the point of bringing them up? I swear there's no way of following your line of thought. Why do you mention that the chart I presented is only valid for a certain purpose if we are actually discussing that very purpose? Why do you go on a tangent nobody ever mentioned?
Pretty sure the military are one of their main customers.

Did you even read it? It's aimed for diplomats.

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on February 07, 2023, 07:09:19 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 06, 2023, 01:02:14 PMTurkiye is silly enough but I increasingly see places using the proper accent marks, which mean nothing to English speakers. That's mad.

Quote from: The Larch on February 06, 2023, 11:14:42 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 06, 2023, 10:49:18 AM
Its an example of someone who would have different needs?

But what's the point of bringing them up? I swear there's no way of following your line of thought. Why do you mention that the chart I presented is only valid for a certain purpose if we are actually discussing that very purpose? Why do you go on a tangent nobody ever mentioned?
Pretty sure the military are one of their main customers.

Did you even read it? It's aimed for diplomats.

Another main customer.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on February 06, 2023, 04:04:41 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 06, 2023, 03:41:54 PMWell, almost no one over here says R.F.A anymore since the reunification République Fédérale d'Allemagne i.e Federal Republic of Germany) over here (used to be common back the day vs R.D.A/GDR ), the German embassy still shows it in French and German of course,, but then formal endonyms ≠ common parlance exonyms.
Sure, the formal names, e.g. French Republic, are never used. But using France or Germany instead is different from using Great Britain, as the latter excluded part of the UK, whereas the former designte the whole country. A similar example is calling the Netherlands Holland.

Yet the German case is a classic example of multiple exonyms, with different latin variants used by non-latin countries such Almanya in Turkish and Arabic (from Allemagne/Alemanha/Alemania cf. Alamanni) Germania  in Greek and Russian, while slavic languages have a form based on ¨nemets*. Balts do their own thing (the Estonian one is close to Finnish).
Then the Scandinavians have their own based on Deutschland (e.g Tyskland in Swedish), while the Finns were marked by Saxony.

On the other hand, For the UK, most languages distinguish between –Great– Britain (Britain might be used as well for Brittany in post-Roman times), United Kingdom and England/Wales/Scotland and Northern Ireland.
On a formal level that is, again.

PS: in litterary, historical or humoristic levels, Teutonia and Germania variants may be used as well (Germanie et Teutonie).

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Yes.

(The language and type setting used here sucks yes. But first that googled up)
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Children deaths have similarly risen in Spain throughout the same years, and we don't share our translantic friends' penchant for oversized cars.

I think it has more to do with regulating traffic around schools and playgrounds.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on February 07, 2023, 09:44:23 AMChildren deaths have similarly risen in Spain throughout the same years, and we don't share our translantic friends' penchant for oversized cars.

I think it has more to do with regulating traffic around schools and playgrounds.
At a glance I get a road death rate in Spain 1/3 that of the US?
For children in particular it seems similarly a lot less.

I guess explaining a rise in Spain since the 80s would be the obvious stuff of economic improvement and cars becoming drastically more common.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on February 07, 2023, 09:44:23 AMChildren deaths have similarly risen in Spain throughout the same years, and we don't share our translantic friends' penchant for oversized cars.

It's fallen in the UK - but I think you're right and that's because there's been a trend in the UK to either close roads or have loads of traffic calming measures around schools. Especially during the pandemic there were loads of roads immediately outside schools that basically got closed and have now been converted into safe play areas.

But even despite that something like 60% of kids deaths in road accidents are in the after school to early evening bit when they're most likely to be walking home or just out with mates - the second most likely time is 8am-9am so when they're likely walking to school/out and about.
Let's bomb Russia!