News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on February 06, 2023, 05:19:04 AM
Quote from: Syt on February 05, 2023, 01:40:48 PMKosovo's Prime Minster now vs. in the 90s.

Orban was also a student leader back in the day, see how he turned out.

True, but in that pic he looks more like Jeffrey Dahmer, not like he should be on stage with Rage Against The Machine or Korn. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on February 06, 2023, 05:36:03 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 06, 2023, 05:19:04 AM
Quote from: Syt on February 05, 2023, 01:40:48 PMKosovo's Prime Minster now vs. in the 90s.

Orban was also a student leader back in the day, see how he turned out.

True, but in that pic he looks more like Jeffrey Dahmer, not like he should be on stage with Rage Against The Machine or Korn. :P

Well, it was the 80s, so he'd look more new wave-ish.  :P

Josquius

In other random shit I've discovered a new feature of Google dots. You can tell it a song lyric, like "play the song which goes likes to shoot his gun" and it will sometimes guess the right song for you.
Like so much voice recognition it's imperfect of course.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on February 05, 2023, 02:24:37 PMI've seen these us foreign office things before. They're only really valid for their specific purpose.

Yeah, actually learning foreign languages for an English native speaker. Isn't that what we're discussing?

QuoteThey don't gel with my language experiences at all

Obviously you're unique.  :P

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on February 06, 2023, 09:58:30 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 05, 2023, 02:24:37 PMI've seen these us foreign office things before. They're only really valid for their specific purpose.

Yeah, actually learning foreign languages for an English native speaker. Isn't that what we're discussing?
Learning the language you'll need as a soldier working in a foreign nation is a bit different to learning a language you'll need say working in an office.

QuoteThey don't gel with my language experiences at all

Obviously you're unique.  :P
[/quote]

Probably in a minority but I doubt I'm unique. As said I really do think things depend on your favoured learning style.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Who is talking about soldiers?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on February 06, 2023, 10:29:31 AMWho is talking about soldiers?

Nobody but Josquius.  :lol:

Incidentally, the French Foreign Legion is well-known for teaching quickly very practical French skills to foreigners of all persuasions and "favoured learning styles".

It would be the last resort for Josquius I guess.  :P

Josquius

QuoteNobody but Josquius.  :lol:

Incidentally, the French Foreign Legion is well-known for teaching quickly very practical French skills to foreigners of all persuasions and "favoured learning styles".

It would the last resort for Josquius I guess.  :P
Outside of languages different learning styles are a well recognised fact. Why is this somehow worthy of mocking when it comes to languages?

And yes. I'd die before joining the foreign legion. Even an English speaking military is a big no from me.

Quote from: The Larch on February 06, 2023, 10:29:31 AMWho is talking about soldiers?
Its an example of someone who would have different needs?
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on February 06, 2023, 10:49:18 AM
Its an example of someone who would have different needs?

But what's the point of bringing them up? I swear there's no way of following your line of thought. Why do you mention that the chart I presented is only valid for a certain purpose if we are actually discussing that very purpose? Why do you go on a tangent nobody ever mentioned?

Sheilbh

Not posting in the main thread because it's just frivolous, but I saw that Sunak and Biden's statement's both refer to Türkiye - is that a recent international name change? Wasn't something I was aware of.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 06, 2023, 11:35:20 AMNot posting in the main thread because it's just frivolous, but I saw that Sunak and Biden's statement's both refer to Türkiye - is that a recent international name change? Wasn't something I was aware of.

Yeah, last year.

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 06, 2023, 10:47:43 AM

Nobody but Josquius.  :lol:

It would be the last resort for Josquius I guess.  :P

Frequent physical hazing is big motivator for language learning  :ph34r:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 06, 2023, 11:35:20 AMNot posting in the main thread because it's just frivolous, but I saw that Sunak and Biden's statement's both refer to Türkiye - is that a recent international name change? Wasn't something I was aware of.

Al Jazeera news presenters and also it's journalist reporting from Turkey have been using it for several months now; I mentioned it a while back.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on February 06, 2023, 11:41:40 AM

Al Jazeera news presenters and also it's journalist reporting from Turkey have been using it for several months now; I mentioned it a while back.

I wonder if they will start it to demand from Yunanistan i.e Greece er I mean Ελλασ.  :P

Don't hear or see it happening here.
 :frog: :porkchop: etc.

L'Hellade serait-elle dans la panade ?  :hmm:

Valmy

Maybe they were just tired of sharing a name with a silly looking bird?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."