Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 26, 2023, 01:14:01 PM
QuoteAPStylebook
@APStylebook
We recommend avoiding general and often dehumanizing "the" labels such as the poor, the mentally ill, the French, the disabled, the college-educated. Instead, use wording such as people with mental illnesses. And use these descriptions only when clearly relevant.
:lol: "the French" :frog:

More seriously I get the point here but there's a part of me that thinks the problem in our society is that we hide from view groups like "the poor" and don't talk about them enough - so while I get what they're trying to do, I'm not sure this helps :hmm:

Less "The disabled" and more "Disabled people" or "People with disabilities".
Emphasises they're 99% the same, people, except they have this extra need rather than an alien category defined solely by their difference.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on January 27, 2023, 03:48:36 AMLess "The disabled" and more "Disabled people" or "People with disabilities".
Emphasises they're 99% the same, people, except they have this extra need rather than an alien category defined solely by their difference.

This sounds like woke silliness to me.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2023, 07:23:14 AM
Quote from: Josquius on January 27, 2023, 03:48:36 AMLess "The disabled" and more "Disabled people" or "People with disabilities".

Nobody thinks its the biggest problem in the universe. But when it takes no effort to simply write in a more inclusive way I don't see the problem.
Microscopic stuff like this can seem silly, especially when its not your group being slighted, but it all adds up.
And its not just about protecting the feelings of the offended group either- there are benefits to be had for yourself in not being seen to be othering a group. Or if you're a populist politician fishing for a certain audience benefits to be seen in purposefully doing it.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2023, 07:23:14 AM

I know some pharma companies started referring to patients with [condition x] vs [condition x] patients as part of terminology to destigmatize patients and make them more than just their disease.

Personally, I find that unconvincing and just wordier.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on January 27, 2023, 08:21:20 AMNobody thinks its the biggest problem in the universe. But when it takes no effort to simply write in a more inclusive way I don't see the problem.
Microscopic stuff like this can seem silly, especially when its not your group being slighted, but it all adds up.
And its not just about protecting the feelings of the offended group either- there are benefits to be had for yourself in not being seen to be othering a group. Or if you're a populist politician fishing for a certain audience benefits to be seen in purposefully doing it.
Although on audience points one comment you often see is that this is the equivalent of knowing which piece of cutlery to use. It is not about protecting the feelings of an offended group/not othering them but signaling to your own group that you're part of it/"in"-ing yourself - especially because I think it's more likely among graduates.

I'm not sure about that - I think that might be an effect but the intent is legit. I think it is genuinely coming from a good place but is based on a massively debunked and discredited theory of language that somehow perseveres in the popular imagination :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

As someone who is mentally ill I prefer "Madman of the howling hordes."
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 27, 2023, 09:33:27 AM
Quote from: Josquius on January 27, 2023, 08:21:20 AMNobody thinks its the biggest problem in the universe. But when it takes no effort to simply write in a more inclusive way I don't see the problem.
Although on audience points one comment you often see is that this is the equivalent of knowing which piece of cutlery to use. It is not about protecting the feelings of an offended group/not othering them but signaling to your own group that you're part of it/"in"-ing yourself - especially because I think it's more likely among graduates.

I'm not sure about that - I think that might be an effect but the intent is legit. I think it is genuinely coming from a good place but is based on a massively debunked and discredited theory of language that somehow perseveres in the popular imagination :lol:

With using proper language in general there can be a bit of a secret handshake thing going on yeah.
But with this "The blacks" sort of stuff it really does seem to be a baked in language thing that sets off a little "Thats not right is it?" alarm in everyone when picked up on even if they don't then think about it enough to realise why.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Right. I think that might have been what they meant when they included "the French" - but those examples, like you've given, are already more or less universally seen as offensive, not used in mainstream publications and not requiring a style guide update.

I think the reason they used "the French" is it gestures at what they mean but AP would already not use the actual examples.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

This is lovely. Roy Keane's Film Reviews.

https://twitter.com/roykeanereviews

"It just shouldn't take three men to look after a baby.
There's absolutely no teamwork, no plan and no work rate. It's embarrassing"

"How's he managed to get to 40 and still be a virgin? Look, these things happen but you see in the film that he gets given ample opportunity and he wastes them.
You've got to be more clinical and make your chances count."

"So she's got those ice powers. What's she playing at?
She could be conquering the world and all she's doing is making herself a castle and singing that song about letting it go. Don't let it go, grab the opportunity with both hands. It's wasted potential and it's embarrassing."

"They're all celebrating at the end there, the rebellion and the little teddy things. Ok fine you've overthrown the empire, but that's your job. Just get on with it, it's embarrassing."

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

Quote from: Razgovory on January 27, 2023, 09:41:05 AMAs someone who is mentally ill I prefer "Madman of the howling hordes."

:lol:

Syt

Haven't really followed the Marvel comics in recent years, but this still came as a bit of a surprise. :D

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Shouldn't be a surprise for Hercules.  :P

Razgovory

Chiefs are going to the Super Bowl!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017