News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Kind of fun - got 3409 my first time around.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2023, 07:46:54 PMKind of fun - got 3409 my first time around.

Only 2657 on my first go.  :blush:

3741 2nd go, but there was a dead easy Kennedy campaigning shot, so highly likely to be 1960.

I have a feeling given the guessometer starts at 1960, there will likely always be a 1960 photo?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

frunk

Every once in a while one of the pictures doesn't show up, very annoying.  I had a 3272 on 4 rounds, but the fifth was a zero because nothing showed up.

mongers

Quote from: mongers on January 23, 2023, 07:55:58 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2023, 07:46:54 PMKind of fun - got 3409 my first time around.

3741 2nd go, but there was a dead easy Kennedy campaigning shot, so highly likely to be 1960.

I have a feeling given the guessometer starts at 1960, there will likely always be a 1960 photo?

Fourth go 4179.

One was a swear a shot of steve MacQueen's car from bullit, but couldn't remember when that was had thought 1968, but figured it could be a couple of years earlier, so missed out on the 1000 pts.

mongers

Quote from: mongers on January 23, 2023, 09:06:39 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 23, 2023, 07:55:58 PM

Fourth go 4179.

One was a swear a shot of steve MacQueen's car from bullit, but couldn't remember when that was had thought 1968, but figured it could be a couple of years earlier, so missed out on the 1000 pts.

4361 on my 5th and final go, got two 1000s, one year out on two other pictures, but a 1960s B&W shot from a Lebanese school was 7 years too early so only 513 for that one.  :(

The Larch

For me the hardest ones are from the 80s onwards. I swear I never get any right, it could be from the late 80s or from the early 00s and I'll still mix the dates up.

celedhring

3345 in my best go (4 attempts). Might try to beat it later. A lot depends on the pictures you get (I got blessed with 'Nam and Clinton pictures in my best attempt that were easy to place).

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on January 24, 2023, 05:48:27 AM3345 in my best go (4 attempts). Might try to beat it later. A lot depends on the pictures you get (I got blessed with 'Nam and Clinton pictures in my best attempt that were easy to place).

I once got a picture of Clinton getting sworn in, so I was down to two options. Of course, I picked the wrong one.  <_<

I've had several pictures from the Chinese civil war. No 'nam pics yet for me.

Grey Fox

3481 on my 1st try. Went downhill from there.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Consistently in the 2000s.

Grey Fox

I find identifying early 20th century pictures that have no transportation or electricity infrastructure incredibly difficult. 1902 or 1929 who knows? I sure don't.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Just got a really bizarre one. It's four old-timey looking military dudes in front of a truck with a cross on it (a Red Cross truck, maybe? The pic is b/w, so no way to tell). I'm pretty sure it's from WWI when I then realize that there's a swastika in a logo on the truck. So now I'm a bit flabbergasted... early nazis, maybe? So I put the mid 30s... and it turns out it was from 1916.

Now I'm wondering where in WWI one could see a swastika...

Edit: Another tricky one. It's one with weird colours, so maybe it's a colorized b/w picture. It features some kind of office room gathering of what look like tribal elders from some Central Asian country. Given the weird colours I instantly think it's maybe from the early XXth century... but then I notice something lying in the table. I zoom in... and it's a cellphone. :lol:

Josquius

I suck at that game.
They've done some interesting processing on the images to make stuff from 2000 look like its from the 60s.
The only one I got was 2 guys sitting in a room of electronic equipment which I recognised from the hairstyles as the 20s.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on January 24, 2023, 08:52:02 AMI suck at that game.
They've done some interesting processing on the images to make stuff from 2000 look like its from the 60s.
The only one I got was 2 guys sitting in a room of electronic equipment which I recognised from the hairstyles as the 20s.

Looking into details really pays. I just had a picture of a demonstration in an Asian country, that looked like relatively recent but for what I knew could be from the 80s or 90s. I paused and looked around and actually, half hidden, I could see a placard with the face of Aung San Suu Kyi.

Josquius

True.

Tried again. Had one with a super 80s looking black guy with parachute pants and a punky looking woman. Instinct went "80s".
Then I thought... "No. Too fat. 2001." - it was 1998.

Then I got one with two boys sitting under a coke umbrella. Could have been anything between 1970s and today. :bleeding:
██████
██████
██████