And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Most sold car model in the EU compared to most sold car model in the US:

Josquius

I know someone with one of those American pickups in the UK. Its quite tragic. They do seem to be gaining popularity with a certain quality of person.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2023, 03:30:28 AM
Quote from: DGuller on January 22, 2023, 02:47:48 AMI think it's much more than 50% likely that he beats the rap, eventually.

How much more?
Conservatively I'd say 80%, if you include the probability of a successful appeal.  It's hard enough to convict people like Baldwin of black and white crimes, much less the ones that rely on "a reasonable person would've aimed for the leg" standard.

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on January 22, 2023, 09:42:10 AMMost sold car model in the EU compared to most sold car model in the US:

Not really a surprise to anyone who has been to both places, but it'll never cease to amaze me how absolutely humongous cars and trucks were in the US.

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on January 22, 2023, 02:14:33 PMNot really a surprise to anyone who has been to both places, but it'll never cease to amaze me how absolutely humongous cars and trucks were in the US.

Not a surprise if you consider that you are comparing a car to a truck.

Not that the RAV4 is not also somewhat larger than the Tesla Y, but not nearly by the margin a truck will have.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Quote from: grumbler on January 22, 2023, 06:24:37 PM
Quote from: The Larch on January 22, 2023, 02:14:33 PMNot really a surprise to anyone who has been to both places, but it'll never cease to amaze me how absolutely humongous cars and trucks were in the US.

Not a surprise if you consider that you are comparing a car to a truck.

Not that the RAV4 is not also somewhat larger than the Tesla Y, but not nearly by the margin a truck will have.

European trucks are much smaller than American trucks as well. I saw delivery trucks in the US inside cities much larger than any big road truck I've seen here.

Zanza

Call it most sold vehicle then as the distinction between car and truck used in the US is not used in the EU.

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on January 22, 2023, 06:31:05 PMCall it most sold vehicle then as the distinction between car and truck used in the US is not used in the EU.

Okay, but what is the point of comparing an apple to an orange when it comes to vehicle size?  We already know that
1. Pickups are more popular in the US than in Europe (for understandable reasons when you compare urbanization rates) and
2. Pickups are bigger than cars.

Now, if you were comparing average size of urban delivery trucks, as The larch suggested, it might tell us something we didn't know.  That would compare like to like.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

chipwich

If I declare myself Emperor of The Sun I'm not responsible for skin cancer.

Barrister

Twitter can be so dumb:

Both showing up as "trading" at the same time:

#FreeDumbConvoy

and

Myocarditis

The "Freedom Convoy" was a series of protests over Covid restrictions from last year that the government invoked the Emergencies Act against for the first time ever.  I didn't like the protests, but hashtags like #FreeDumbConvoy are :rolleyes:

And Myocarditis is all kinds of anti-vaxxers claiming that vaccines cause Myocarditis, ignoring the fact it's very rare, and the disease itself also causes Myocarditis. :rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

It's a really good hashtag to point out the activities of a bunch of dumb people that have a very narrow and bigoted view of what freedom is.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 23, 2023, 02:38:02 PMIt's a really good hashtag to point out the activities of a bunch of dumb people that have a very narrow and bigoted view of what freedom is.

I'm just anti-name-calling in politics these days.  Same with Fuck Trudeau / Fuck Harper bumper stickers are slogans.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

https://www.chronophoto.app/game.html

Here's a game for you to waste some time at. You're shown 5 pictures and you have to guess in which year they were taken. My record is 4161.

Jacob

Quote from: The Larch on January 23, 2023, 06:02:29 PMhttps://www.chronophoto.app/game.html

Here's a game for you to waste some time at. You're shown 5 pictures and you have to guess in which year they were taken. My record is 4161.

BC or AD?

The Larch

Quote from: Jacob on January 23, 2023, 06:23:03 PM
Quote from: The Larch on January 23, 2023, 06:02:29 PMhttps://www.chronophoto.app/game.html

BC or AD?

Points.  :P