News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

For the autobahn/autostrada debate (autostrade was the original French word for autoroute motorway), Italy has a pretty good claim as well and it was under Mussolini.
Wrong dictator.  :P

Maladict

Quote from: The Larch on December 03, 2022, 07:38:15 AM
Quote from: Maladict on December 03, 2022, 04:20:17 AMTo be honest, I'm not exactly sure who either Dua Lipa or Rita Ora are.  :lol:

They're two British pop singers, both of Albanian Kosovar origin.

I am: out of touch

celedhring

Dual IPA? Is that some kind of craft beer?

Syt

Well, that's convinced me. :)

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on December 03, 2022, 01:36:53 PMWell, that's convinced me. :)

Ominously, most land mass is already in North America...the southern hemisphere is already filling up with water.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

Now see this is the stuff that has to be fake. Nobody can be this stupid.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on December 03, 2022, 05:53:22 PM

Now see this is the stuff that has to be fake. Nobody can be this stupid.

It is always very hard to detect what "flat earth" stuff is sincere and what is satire, because the line is indistinguishable without diving into who is posting/proposing it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

I've read a conspiracy theory that flat earth theory was a training exercise for Russian trolls, to test the effectiveness of their influence tools.  If it works on something so obviously stupid, then it can work on anything you want some people to believe.

Syt

Full size: https://i.redd.it/2ui7te64yz3a1.png

I know about half of these artists by name, and could name a song for about a quarter of them?

Also: :lol: @ Iowa
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I got the weirdest ad on Youtube.  Date Slavic women.  Wait, what?  Is this like a mail order bride thing?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on December 05, 2022, 04:08:23 AMI got the weirdest ad on Youtube.  Date Slavic women.  Wait, what?  Is this like a mail order bride thing?

A budget version.
You don't get an actual hot Russian shipping to your door. Instead you get a bunch of photos of one and some guy in Nigeria RPing as her over text.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

There was news about the new car market skyrocketing in the UK (what recession?!) and there was this bit:

QuotePlug-in electric vehicles made up more than one in four (27.7%) new registrations, with battery electric vehicles (BEVs) taking their largest monthly share of the new car market in 2022.

Am I right to assume that "battery electric vehicles" are hybrids i.e. vehicles running primarily on petrol, just rebranded for marketing purposes?

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on December 05, 2022, 04:49:45 AMThere was news about the new car market skyrocketing in the UK (what recession?!) and there was this bit:

QuotePlug-in electric vehicles made up more than one in four (27.7%) new registrations, with battery electric vehicles (BEVs) taking their largest monthly share of the new car market in 2022.

Am I right to assume that "battery electric vehicles" are hybrids i.e. vehicles running primarily on petrol, just rebranded for marketing purposes?

No. BEVs are "pure" electrics. They don't have petrol engines. What you refer to are HEVs.

Tamas

What's the difference then how are you charging a BEV if it cannot be plugged in?

Josquius

I'm probably going to need a new car next year.
The prices make me cry.

On the fence over the electric vs old petrol car is better debate.
██████
██████
██████