News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on November 19, 2022, 05:44:29 PMNow use "no, yeah" to really confuse people :D

I strive for the same precision and clarity of meaning as Dr. Johnston. :nerd:

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2022, 05:53:33 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 19, 2022, 05:44:29 PMNow use "no, yeah" to really confuse people :D

No, yeah I get what you're saying, but yeah, no, it still confuses a lot of people.

:P both are used in Ontario. Confuses new comers :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

What about "yeah, no, yeah"?

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2022, 05:30:06 PMI will add a third expression to my list of linguistic fights my side has lost.  I heard an interviewee use "yeah, no" on NPR.  The other two are spot on and I mean....

Not "be advised?"  I hate that one far more than any of your three.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

I mean, can't you just live and let live?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2022, 05:30:06 PMI will add a third expression to my list of linguistic fights my side has lost.  I heard an interviewee use "yeah, no" on NPR.  The other two are spot on and I mean....

"Yeah, no" (Or rather "Ja, nein" or "Ja, nee") has been quite common in German everyday language since I was a kid, and it's gotten some strong reactions from some sticklers in the past, too :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 19, 2022, 09:30:13 PMI mean, can't you just live and let live?

Not in this ever-changing world in which we're living.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Gay club in Colorado Springs shot up. 5 dead.

Habbaku

MAGA fuckhead is the culprit, almost predictably by this point.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Who is Dr. Johnston?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on November 20, 2022, 09:19:59 PM

Who is Dr. Johnston?

That would presumably be Samuel Johnston, a very famous British lexicographer.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maladict

Quote from: grumbler on November 22, 2022, 08:55:33 AM

Who is Dr. Johnston?

The one who famously misspelled his own name. At least that's what I assume Brain was referring to.
He also forgot aardvark in his dictionary.

The Brain

Quote from: Maladict on November 22, 2022, 09:07:52 AM
Quote from: grumbler on November 22, 2022, 08:55:33 AM

Who is Dr. Johnston?

The one who famously misspelled his own name. At least that's what I assume Brain was referring to.
He also forgot aardvark in his dictionary.

:yes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.