Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Maladict on September 14, 2022, 03:48:13 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 13, 2022, 07:53:24 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 13, 2022, 07:51:45 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 13, 2022, 07:40:53 PMI have to decide if working 3 days/week in the office is a bridge too far & quit.

:hmm:

What's your commute?

I must be the only person that doesn't like working from home. I like the separation. Also hated remote learning.

17km. Without traffic it's 15 minutes. With it varies between 45min to 1h45. There is usually traffic.

Get an e-bike. You should be able to do it in 30 minutes regards of traffic, and get a bit of exercise too.  :)

Maybe not doable in a Canadian winter, though.  :P

Grey Fox

The bike route uses a different bridge and is much longer.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: HVC on September 13, 2022, 07:51:45 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 13, 2022, 07:40:53 PMI have to decide if working 3 days/week in the office is a bridge too far & quit.

What's your commute?

I must be the only person that doesn't like working from home. I like the separation. Also hated remote learning.
I like working in the office too.  I am getting over a case of covid right now (though have been testing negative since yesterday) and my boss told me to stay home till next weeek, which disappointed me.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

I think office work is a real grass is always greener thing.
Now I'm full time wfh I do sort of miss it. It is better for getting certain types of work done and the times when I have been to the office this year since they were special occasions were fun.
But I know rationally having to be in an office would suck.
I've been pretty lucky even pre covid in most of my recent bosses being cool with working from home anyway but there was one who was just horrific and then there's my memories from Japan and before... Getting in for 9 was always the struggle of the day.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Rowdy teens think I drive too slow.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

I understand if people can't put up with their flatmates / children and cherish the excuse to be away, but for me working from home has been great.

I can sleep longer, I don't have to commute, which is massive since that's two hours a day saved, nearly 10% of each workday.

Sometimes it would be better to talk to some people in person, yes, but that slight disadvantage is more than compensated by the vast improvement in work-life balance.

Grey Fox

To sound even more petty than I did in my 1st post. I am ok with going to the office 2 days/week.

Maladict

Once I have to turn on my heating, some time in October hopefully, I'm definitely going to the office as much as possible.

crazy canuck

I have observed that the pressure for people to return to the office is increasing generally.  Some of that is employer driven but mostly it appears to be peer pressure - as people return on their own the people who stay away begin to be seen as not being team players. More people return, rinse and repeat.

Josquius

It's definitely the case that office working needs everyone there to be worthwhile. Just going to the office on a random day of the week then it's not worthwhile.

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 15, 2022, 07:58:31 AMTo sound even more petty than I did in my 1st post. I am ok with going to the office 2 days/week.

A worthy argument but then this means you're not there to stop your wife turning it to 25
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 15, 2022, 08:50:19 AMTurning it into 25?

Degrees Celsius.

An exaggeration but wimminz tend to like hot temperatures.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on September 15, 2022, 09:55:49 AM

Degrees Celsius.

I didn't think I could get more confused about this. I was wrong.

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on September 15, 2022, 10:20:39 AM
Quote from: Josquius on September 15, 2022, 09:55:49 AM

Degrees Celsius.

I didn't think I could get more confused about this. I was wrong.

Just imagine Michael Caine saying it, then it at least sounds more whimsical :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.