News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

He was a Radical Republican.  Imagine how history would have been different had he been kept on as VP.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

I have little doubt that a) The Line will never be even near to completion and b) if by some miracle it does get completed it will be an autocratic nightmare thanks to its builders, but otherwise the basic idea of a linear city to make things more efficient and remove needs for cars sound like a decent idea:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2022/sep/08/nine-million-people-in-a-city-170km-long-will-the-world-ever-be-ready-for-a-linear-metropolis

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

How so? A linear city sounds retarded from a transport perspective. Out of all possible geographic forms it maximizes the maximum distance between the most extreme points of the city.

The Larch

That sounds like an idea from a trashy sci-fi novel.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on September 08, 2022, 04:55:05 AMI have little doubt that a) The Line will never be even near to completion and b) if by some miracle it does get completed it will be an autocratic nightmare thanks to its builders, but otherwise the basic idea of a linear city to make things more efficient and remove needs for cars sound like a decent idea:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2022/sep/08/nine-million-people-in-a-city-170km-long-will-the-world-ever-be-ready-for-a-linear-metropolis

QuoteWhat if everything you needed was always a five-minute walk away?

How fast do these people walk?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: Zanza on September 08, 2022, 04:59:50 AMHow so? A linear city sounds retarded from a transport perspective. Out of all possible geographic forms it maximizes the maximum distance between the most extreme points of the city.

It's an old idea, it was tried in Madrid (the Ciudad Lineal district). The reasoning was that with a linear city you largely simplify urban mobility, since you only move along a single axis. In Madrid the concept - never fully realized - was to run super-efficient electric trams along the central thoroughfare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_city_(Soria_design)

The Brain

In addition to all the other big problems, if the line is cut by a major accident or terror threat you just go fuck yourself since it's impossible to redirect traffic.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Caliga

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 08, 2022, 09:18:17 AMQueen is dead
:huh:

I see all kinds of news stories she's not doing well, but not heard that yet?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

celedhring

Quote from: Caliga on September 08, 2022, 09:24:32 AM

I'm seeing people sharing a bunch of fake tweets posing as BBC/Guardian/Etc... saying that she's already died.

Sheilbh

Though there are rumours - that they are just waiting to formalise comms and get the whole family ready etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Sounding like possibly a terminal diagnosis to me. There are accounts that she has been seen walking the dog and going about her life.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Quote from: celedhring on September 08, 2022, 09:27:40 AM
Quote from: Caliga on September 08, 2022, 09:24:32 AM

I'm seeing people sharing a bunch of fake tweets posing as BBC/Guardian/Etc... saying that she's already died.

Yeah, I got fooled by a fake tweet. My bad, folks.

Looks like she is close, though.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

Illustrations from the latest Hungarian Geography text book for 14 years olds. I don't think I need to elaborate on how it approaches the brief summary of Ukraine and the former Yugoslavia: