News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Random question for men:  in this day and age, where would one buy a reasonably priced dress shirt that's casual enough to wear with jeans?  Brick and mortar stores seem to be dying, and ordering online seems like a crapshoot.  Is there a company that makes shirts that you can be fairly sure are not going to be shit, so you can safely order online?

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on August 18, 2022, 07:18:18 AMRandom question for men:  in this day and age, where would one buy a reasonably priced dress shirt that's casual enough to wear with jeans?  Brick and mortar stores seem to be dying, and ordering online seems like a crapshoot.  Is there a company that makes shirts that you can be fairly sure are not going to be shit, so you can safely order online?

Like any self-respecting elderly person, I dress from Marks and Spencer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on August 18, 2022, 04:02:36 AMAlso, can you add non-Spotify tracks to regular? I have a few soundtracks that live on my HD, but I can add them to playlists, and then download them e.g. onto my phone for listening on the go.

Apple Music is really good for that.  If you upload your own tracks they are seamlessly integrated into your music "library". Good feature for an old like me with a lot of tracks from CD.  Or maybe even for the younger folk that use bandcamp and the like.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on August 18, 2022, 07:18:18 AMRandom question for men:  in this day and age, where would one buy a reasonably priced dress shirt that's casual enough to wear with jeans?  Brick and mortar stores seem to be dying, and ordering online seems like a crapshoot.  Is there a company that makes shirts that you can be fairly sure are not going to be shit, so you can safely order online?

Can't help you. I still do brick and mortar shopping when it comes to clothes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2022, 07:09:17 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 18, 2022, 06:21:42 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 18, 2022, 03:44:55 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 17, 2022, 11:28:20 PMCan you download tracks on regular spotify?
I don't think so. It's probably the main benefit I get out of Spotify Premium - especially for travel.

Yes you can, I do it constantly.

Spotify specifically lists that you can only download if you have premium.

Well, I definitely don't have Premium and do download stuff from Spotify extensively. Mind you, it's not downloading as external files, but downloading within Spotify in order to listen to stuff offline.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on August 18, 2022, 09:38:16 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 17, 2022, 11:28:20 PMCan you download tracks on regular spotify?
I don't think so. It's probably the main benefit I get out of Spotify Premium - especially for travel.

Well, I definitely don't have Premium and do download stuff from Spotify extensively. Mind you, it's not downloading as external files, but downloading within Spotify in order to listen to stuff offline.

Curious. I first wondered if a country thing but then saw this version in Spanish:

https://www.spotify.com/es/premium/
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2022, 10:24:13 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 18, 2022, 09:38:16 AM

Curious. I first wondered if a country thing but then saw this version in Spanish:

https://www.spotify.com/es/premium/

That mentions downloading music, yeah. What I download is podcasts.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on August 18, 2022, 08:46:16 AM

Can't help you. I still do brick and mortar shopping when it comes to clothes.

Yeah, DG it might be different where you are, but clothing stores are the one kind of brick and mortar store that still thrive here.  If you really want to most of your clothing online, I suggest going into a store first to find stuff that fits you well and then you can order those brands/sizes online.

PDH

Walmart.  If that is too dressy try the Dollar Store.

Jokes aside, I actually don't know.  Since I started working at UCSC I wear a polo shirt and cargo shorts year round.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

Walmart, or the British equivalent, would be my serious answer. They're perfectly functional and that's all you need in a dress shirt. Not something where I'd spend much.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Hugo Boss  :)

Admiral Yi

grumbler

Land's End makes quality stuff that fits and isn't outrageously priced.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Yikes, found out today that there's a small cupboard in the museum that contains ....
shrunken human heads.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"