The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 12, 2022, 11:09:28 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 12, 2022, 10:58:08 AM

:ph34r:

Missing Transylvania/Romania  :contract:

And Galicia, Southern Tyrolia, Northern Serbia, and Bosnia. But that Habsburgs are playing the long game.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on August 12, 2022, 11:02:17 AM:lol:

Has any Habsburg had any kind of success in Austrian politics?

Not really, though Otto was busy in the Paneuropean Union: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paneuropean_Union

Till 2011, Habsburgs were barred from running for the office of Austrian President.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on August 12, 2022, 11:27:47 AM
Quote from: celedhring on August 12, 2022, 11:02:17 AM:lol:

Has any Habsburg had any kind of success in Austrian politics?

Not really, though Otto was busy in the Paneuropean Union: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paneuropean_Union

Till 2011, Habsburgs were barred from running for the office of Austrian President.

Well that would be a sight.

Here would be the new ending of "Gott Erhalte, Gott Beschütze"

For the constitutional duration of the term of the Habsburg presidency
Austria's fate remains bound

Razgovory

They shot the walrus!  They shot the walrus! :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

It doesn't seem to matter how many accounts I mute or how many times I click "I'm not interested in this topic", Twitter just wont stop pushing "this is why bitcoin is the amazing" content.

Habbaku

Quote from: Jacob on August 16, 2022, 10:28:00 AMIt doesn't seem to matter how many accounts I mute or how many times I click "I'm not interested in this topic", Twitter just wont stop pushing "this is why bitcoin is the amazing" content.

Bitcoin fixes this.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on August 16, 2022, 10:28:00 AMIt doesn't seem to matter how many accounts I mute or how many times I click "I'm not interested in this topic", Twitter just wont stop pushing "this is why bitcoin is the amazing" content.

That is why bitcoin is amazing.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 16, 2022, 03:40:20 PMThat is why bitcoin is amazing.

Indeed.

It doesn't do much to counter my perception that bitcoin sits somewhere between a cult and a pyramid scheme.

The Minsky Moment

It's not a pyramid scheme.  It's basically an alpha release of a financial tech demonstration that got way overhyped.

So yeah, a cult.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

As I have repeatedly reminded people, bitcoin was always just a proof of concept.

Valmy

I think blockchain tech is amazing and I am sure it has remarkable practical uses. I am just waiting around for one to reveal itself.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2022, 05:35:30 PMI think blockchain tech is amazing and I am sure it has remarkable practical uses. I am just waiting around for one to reveal itself.

Selling drugs.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

Speaking of things being pushed, recently I keep seeing an ad on Youtube about Slavic women being in demand these days, and taking a quick quiz to find out whether a Slavic woman is right for you.  Slavic was always pronounced as "Slave-ick". 

It seems like Youtube algorithm regards me reporting this ad, as well as repeatedly asking to not show it to me, as a desirable engagement, so I keep seeing it.  Nothing in my Google search history indicates that either Slavic women or slaves are a particular interest of mine. :unsure: