News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Pizza with anchovies isn't that rare around here. And no, we're not turtles. I think.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 30, 2022, 08:55:51 PMAfter reading about the USSC decision limiting the rule making powers of the EPA, I am coming to the view we really are living in a simulation and a 12 year old decided to fuck with the settings to see what happens.

Read the decision itself.  Then you realize you are mistaken, as no simulation, however sophisticated, could be creative enough to come up with something so screwed up. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Incredibly positive and I think really important move from Germany - now formally signing the declaration to return all 1,000 bronzes and objects looted (by the British) from Benin in 1897. Hopefully the start of a wider movement:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

How'd Germany get them?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on July 02, 2022, 07:19:11 PMHow'd Germany get them?
There was private looting but the Admiralty generally tried to seize all the looted items to cover the costs of the expedition (that wiped out Benin City). A big chunk ended up in the British Museum but huge numbers were just sold - German institutions were big buyerrs, so were American galleries and universities, there's at least one in Canada, but loads of smaller museums or universities in the UK and across Europe have some Benin bronzes.

It's fragmented to an extent that I don't actually think anyone knows where they all are.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Good for them for returning it, but if that's the going theme the uk is in trouble

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Parts of the world had a "ninja panic" the way the US had a "satanic panic".

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 02, 2022, 07:15:35 PMIncredibly positive and I think really important move from Germany - now formally signing the declaration to return all 1,000 bronzes and objects looted (by the British) from Benin in 1897. Hopefully the start of a wider movement:

I think that is fine. There is more than enough artifacts native to Europe to fill all their museums and frankly when I go to Germany I want to see German shit in museums, as cool as things like Pergamon are.

Maybe the British Museum should, you know, be filled with British things.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Returning looted items when it's safe to do so is only right.
Stuff like the Elgin marbles however... Far iffier and less clear cut.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on July 02, 2022, 09:57:26 PMParts of the world had a "ninja panic" the way the US had a "satanic panic".

That's why in Germany it was called "American Fighter" and "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on July 03, 2022, 12:08:30 AMReturning looted items when it's safe to do so is only right.
Stuff like the Elgin marbles however... Far iffier and less clear cut.

Greece is unsafe for sculptures and monuments?

HVC

Quote from: Syt on July 03, 2022, 12:17:04 AM
Quote from: Jacob on July 02, 2022, 09:57:26 PMParts of the world had a "ninja panic" the way the US had a "satanic panic".

That's why in Germany it was called "American Fighter" and "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" :P

I can maybe get racial sensitivity, but ninja panic? Where there a lot of criminals running around dressed in black ninja costumes in the 80s? :D

Syt

No idea, I assume "ninja" wasn't deemed appropriate for kids? I think I read somewhere they removed the nunchaku for the UK market. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on July 03, 2022, 12:32:19 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 03, 2022, 12:17:04 AM

I can maybe get racial sensitivity, but ninja panic? Where there a lot of criminals running around dressed in black ninja costumes in the 80s? :D

About the same amount as of satanic cults kidnapping babies for dark rituals, I'd say. Moral panics are moral panics.

FWIW, always been ninja turtles around here.