News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on June 20, 2022, 08:55:04 PMTomorrow is moving day.  I may go offline for a while.

All the best, see you on the other side. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on June 20, 2022, 08:55:04 PMTomorrow is moving day.  I may go offline for a while.

Raz, hope it goes well; looking for to hearing from you once you're settled.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

One week reprieve.  Rescheduled move.  Good, it's 90 degrees today and I have no air conditioning in my car.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

The cities you mentioned on FB. Are they far from each other?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 21, 2022, 09:10:32 AMThe cities you mentioned on FB. Are they far from each other?
Yes.  One is in Mongolia and one is in Greenland.  Cities are sometimes compared to one another poetically. Ann Arbor is "the Athens of the Midwest".  Kansas City is "The Paris of the Plains".  If there are 39 "Venices of the North" and 41 "Venices of East" certainly there should be at least one "Dalanzadgad of the West" and why shouldn't it be Jefferson City?  I picked Dalanzadgad and Qaqortoq because they are ugly and hard to say names.  This is one of those jokes that is probably funny only to me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

What's stopping a move to somewhere you actually want to be?
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Josquius on June 21, 2022, 05:15:55 PMWhat's stopping a move to somewhere you actually want to be?

Requires breathing apparatus and special training.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Josquius on June 21, 2022, 05:15:55 PMWhat's stopping a move to somewhere you actually want to be?
Well, I have no money because I can't hold down a job because I'm insane.  Also there no place in particular I want to be.  The town I'm moving to isn't bad, it has a Fazoli's and more importantly it has apartments to rent.  My hometown does not have either.  A tornado cam through two years ago and destroyed some of the apartments in town creating an acute shortage of affordable housing.

The Minsky Moment

Dalanzadgad is twinned with Zhodzina, Belarus.  Zhodzina's main business is manufacturing mining trucks.  The largest producer of mining trucks in the US is Caterpillar, which is headquartered in Deerfield, IL

So there you have it.  Deerfield is the Dalanzadgad  of the West.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd6GsGetLuU

Only 21 Lesbian bars left in the US, down from 200 in the 80s.

Eddie Teach

I don't think that's the negative development they're trying to paint.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

I'm currently on holiday in Milan, and last night I went to San Siro to watch the Rolling Stones.

It was... a bit sad. I mean, it was super-entertaining - their songs are just too great -, but they are a shadow of what they were (they are in their late 70s ffs). Keith Richards in particular looks like he's barely there. Jagger doesn't nearly have the same energy he once had (although he just had Covid).

On the "Italians and Russia" front, they had a small homage to Ukraine during Gimme Shelter that barely got a reaction from the audience.  :lol:

The Larch

WFH, taken to the extreme?  :lol:

QuoteTokyo mayoral win a 'huge surprise' for candidate living in Belgium
Japanese national Satoko Kishimoto won ward of 500,000 people 5,800 miles away with online campaigning

A Japanese woman living in Belgium has been elected as mayor of a district in Tokyo after coming to prominence through her online campaigning during the Covid pandemic.

Satoko Kishimoto, 47, who has lived in the Belgian city of Leuven with her husband and children for a decade, is now mayor of Suginami city, a ward of 500,000 people, more than 5,800 miles away from her home.