News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on June 24, 2020, 03:39:03 AM
QuoteThe report found a more substantial non-Christian religious presence in London than elsewhere, with a fifth of London's population identifying with a non-Christian religion, in contrast to 7% in the rest of Britain.

So maybe that's why London has more outdated views on same sex marriage and pre-marital sex and the rest, mayhaps?
I think it's immigration in general - not specifically non-Christian immigration. London's got a lot more actively religious people of different faiths.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Interesting article there Sheilbh. I like that it reports this on a basis of actual attendance. I'm sick to death of reports finding insanely high percentages of the UK are religious, with the north east being most christian of all.... purely because people think ticking that box is just the thing to do even if they never step foot in a church outside of the occasional christening and funeral.
Higher attendance than I thought I must say, even the 1 in 10. Though I suppose this could be counting the mentioned special occasions. Even I've been to church within the past year :ph34r:
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

The 1 in 10 is attending a service at least once a month so I don't think it captures the Easter/Christmas lot (like me) :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2020, 07:21:56 PM
Also I live in an area with a lot of Pentecostal churches so I'm surprised there's more outside London than in.

I think that's a misreading. Statement is "Pentecostals (7%) and Orthodox Christians (6%) have a more significant presence than outside the capital." which suggests that there are more Pentecostals and Orthodox in London than without, no?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2020, 07:47:09 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2020, 07:21:56 PM
Also I live in an area with a lot of Pentecostal churches so I'm surprised there's more outside London than in.

I think that's a misreading. Statement is "Pentecostals (7%) and Orthodox Christians (6%) have a more significant presence than outside the capital." which suggests that there are more Pentecostals and Orthodox in London than without, no?
Oh! You're right - I thought that was very surprising. That makes more sense because as I say I live in an area with a lot of Pentecostal churches (and, actually, a small Orthodox Cathedral) but I don't think I've seen many anywhere outside of London.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Oh no! One for Brits of a certain age - RIP Margarita Pracatan :(

Always remember her on both the Clive James and Lily Savage shows. Looking forward to her so much was possibly an early indicator of the gayness :lol:

As Clive James (:wub:) put it:  "She never lets the words or melody get in her way. She is us, without the fear of failure."
https://news.sky.com/story/margarita-pracatan-singer-known-for-appearances-on-the-clive-james-show-dies-aged-89-12013918

Edit: Needless to say her later life included lots of performances at gay bars and pride events. I understand she once literally caused a stampede at Edinburgh Pride.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Italian ciabatta bread was not invented until 1982. :o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciabatta
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

PDH

Quote from: Syt on June 26, 2020, 07:39:50 AM
Italian ciabatta bread was not invented until 1982. :o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciabatta

Well my reality is shattered.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

So... Seems one of my neighbours likes to play saxophone over night club music backing tracks at a loud volume.
That's a new one.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on June 26, 2020, 01:28:09 PM
So... Seems one of my neighbours likes to play saxophone over night club music backing tracks at a loud volume.
That's a new one.

OMG such things are might nightmare scenarios for when we finally buy a home.

celedhring

I have this neighbor (not the same block) that practices the very same guitar riff several times a week. Over and over. I have it now seared in my brain and I can't get it off it. It's a nightmare.

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on June 26, 2020, 01:28:09 PM
That's a new one.

The girl who used to live upstairs from me played the cello. She and her boyfriend would give concerts twice a year or so. Which required them practicing for weeks beforehand. He played the piano. :D

It wasn't all too bad, though, and the only sound I ever heard from them (easily blocked with headphones).

The guy now living in her place isn't home every day (she and her bf moved to a larger apartment in the same building), but he has a much heavier step than her which can be annoying at times.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

It wasn't too bad really. Easily blocked out with closed windows. Just weird. Far worse was an old downstairs neighbour in a rented flat with whom I could rarely hear actual music but the whole place shook with bass. That was a nightmare.
██████
██████
██████