Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 07, 2020, 11:36:14 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 07, 2020, 06:21:02 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on April 06, 2020, 10:49:09 PM
When Constantinople is retaken a new dynasty will have to be set up I guess. Not many Palaiologoi running around these days. :hmm:

It's not as if the Byzantines themselves ever had any problem creating new ruling houses whenever the situation arose.

I saw a series of youtube videos about who would be the legitimate emperor today. I think I was convinced that from a legal standpoint it's Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso de Todos los Santos de Borbón y de Grecia. Or maybe it was his dad when those videos were made.  :P

Our king hedged his bets by getting Greek bona fides on his mom's side.  :P

celedhring

Looks like Spanish Russian bots bugged out this past night  :lol:

19361488&f=live]https://twitter.com/search?q=Pol%2F[automatic-post]19361488&f=live - most tweets now are people memeing it, but it was like this:

Josquius

To break the google monopoly, reclaim a bit of privacy, etc... I decided to try using duck duck go.
Its just not as good as google fundamentally is it.

Quote from: celedhring on April 09, 2020, 02:44:35 AM

19361488&f=live]https://twitter.com/search?q=Pol%2F[automatic-post]19361488&f=live - most tweets now are people memeing it, but it was like this:

Fantastic.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on April 09, 2020, 02:56:09 AM
To break the google monopoly, reclaim a bit of privacy, etc... I decided to try using duck duck go.
Its just not as good as google fundamentally is it.

I actually like how it doesn't tailor search results.

But it generally fails miserably when searching news stories.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 09, 2020, 02:44:35 AM

It was funny to see it happening, yes, but it's also quite chilling to see to which level political discourse is being infiltrated/intoxicated by Russian bots even in Spain.

Josquius

It's fascinating nothing has happened out of this. Twitter keeps up their law of inaction.

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 09, 2020, 05:54:57 AM
From Google to Amazon.
:unsure:
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Duck Duck Go is hosted on Amazon servers. But then I think the same is true for Brave.

You can't really avoid Amazon.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on April 09, 2020, 06:47:33 AM
It was funny to see it happening, yes, but it's also quite chilling to see to which level political discourse is being infiltrated/intoxicated by Russian bots even in Spain.

They were already pretty active during the October Catalan crisis, and then turned around and started backing the Spanish far right. It is what it is, if they smell potential unstability (and this virus has potential to create a lot of societal chaos) they flock there like hyenas to try to stoke the fires.

I still wonder about the logic of it all because historically Spain always was rather supportive of Russia within the EU, until they started meddling.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 09, 2020, 06:59:03 AM
Duck Duck Go is hosted on Amazon servers. But then I think the same is true for Brave.

Isn't Amazon the largest web server provider in the world, or something like that? I seem to remember having read something to that effect somewhere.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on April 09, 2020, 07:16:10 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 09, 2020, 06:59:03 AM

Isn't Amazon the largest web server provider in the world, or something like that? I seem to remember having read something to that effect somewhere.
Yeah, something like that. Amazon Web Services is huge. If you ever have to dig into whose servers are actually used, it's basically them, Oracle and Microsoft that you'll routinely come across.

They're also the regular stream of income for Amazon at a very high margin that supports the rest of the business that is lower margin/more variable.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

You're thinking of AWS and yes, it is the world's largest cloud hosting service.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

celedhring

And it's the actual moneymaker for them. It has much larger margins than their retail business.

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on April 09, 2020, 07:14:47 AM

They were already pretty active during the October Catalan crisis, and then turned around and started backing the Spanish far right. It is what it is, if they smell potential unstability (and this virus has potential to create a lot of societal chaos) they flock there like hyenas to try to stoke the fires.

I still wonder about the logic of it all because historically Spain always was rather supportive of Russia within the EU, until they started meddling.

That's quite a nice mixed-metaphor.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 09, 2020, 07:14:47 AM

Yeah, I get that they were active during the Catalonian Troubles, but I get that they'd be in in such a big crisis, but this one seems to be more "just because". As you said, they're now backing far right positions, I guess they see it as the largest source of tension to be created nowadays. I wonder what is it that they back in other countries.

In any case, it's creepy that this is part of our new normal, so to speak.