The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

So many of these are wrong. I am livid :ultra:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

How could one dislike a scotch egg?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Josquius

Wow. People have no taste buds.
Though given the obscurity of some on the bottom I guess they just rated stuff they don't know as crap. Can't say I've ever had faggots.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

A bacon sandwich is classic British cuisine?

Eddie Teach

Really needs the tomato. Bacon on toast sounds very dry.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

Where are these people getting their steak and kidney pies/puddings from? I find it almost inconceivable that they are so poorly regarded  :(

Tamas

Not only British cuisine is a bit bland, but it would seem Brits can't even properly appreciate it. Totally messed up list.

Except for those eels. I haven't tried them yet but I would consider dying of hunger before doing so.

dps

Quote from: Tyr on November 25, 2019, 06:13:59 AM
Wow. People have no taste buds.

That possibly explains a lot about how British cuisine can continue to exist.

Agelastus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 25, 2019, 07:00:59 AM
Where are these people getting their steak and kidney pies/puddings from? I find it almost inconceivable that they are so poorly regarded  :(

Agreed - I'd almost kill to be able to buy a decent and decent sized Steak and Kidney pud where I live. Even searching online for one is surprisingly unsuccessful. I can get good steak and kidney pies from my local butcher and multiple online sources, but as for a decent pud... :(

----------------------------

They're probably eating "Pukka" or "Princes" or "Fray Bentos" (which is sadly declined from its glory days - not surprising really as the logo and product have no relation to the old company.) And the supermarket own brands aren't much better.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Agelastus on November 25, 2019, 07:59:20 AM

Agreed - I'd almost kill to be able to buy a decent and decent sized Steak and Kidney pud where I live. Even searching online for one is surprisingly unsuccessful. I can get good steak and kidney pies from my local butcher and multiple online sources, but as for a decent pud... :(

They're probably eating "Pukka" or "Princes" or "Fray Bentos" (which is sadly declined from its glory days - not surprising really as the logo and product have no relation to the old company.) And the supermarket own brands aren't much better.

I see, we make ours from scratch; and when I say "we" I mean my mother or wife  :P ..........I haven't been able to get my pastry skills to a satisfactory level.

Grey Fox

What is in a Cornish Pastry?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 25, 2019, 09:54:00 AM
What is in a Cornish Pastry?

First, it's a Cornish Pasty.

Second, it's just a hand-held meatpie kind of thing.  I would sometimes buy them from the grocery store in Porter Creek, Whitehorse, Yukon.  Really same idea as an empanada or a samosa.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Agelastus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 25, 2019, 09:20:49 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on November 25, 2019, 07:59:20 AM

I see, we make ours from scratch; and when I say "we" I mean my mother or wife  :P ..........I haven't been able to get my pastry skills to a satisfactory level.

Yes, I haven't made one myself since I was a teenager and making them with my Grandfather - of course, in those days you could still buy half-decent ones as well.

I miss the Brampton Pie Company* Franchise that was in Kettering for all of 51 weeks back when I was in my mid 20s...they did particularly fine Steak and Kidney puds that didn't really suffer as the owner tried to cut costs as he spiralled towards failure. Including one that was around 2 pounds in size unlike the roughly 1 pound in size one that's about the largest you can buy in shops.

*Well, one of the iterations of the Brampton Pie Company - I've since discovered there's been more than one and the man behind them was something of a fraudster.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Tonitrus

For grocery store-bought pies, Pukka is pretty terrible.  My faves are Pie Minister and some by Higgidy's are really good.