Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

CdM has a big smile tonight

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on November 03, 2019, 06:58:11 PM
You guys are lucky to have thanksgiving as a fire break I guess. Be thankful.
It's Xmas already here

Saint Nicholas ftw. No Christmas crap until December 6th.

Admiral Yi

Is decorating your house for holidays purely an American thing?  I mean more than just a Christmas wreath.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2019, 12:35:17 AM
Is decorating your house for holidays purely an American thing?  I mean more than just a Christmas wreath.

Mostly. People in Switzerland will put up those Christmas light chains, but that's the limit.

Richard Hakluyt

Really common in England too, mostly tree plus interior streamers etc, a few decorate the outside of the house too.

Josquius

It is getting madder every year.
Whats really bizzare is it tends to be in the less nice estates that you find houses which have really gone over the top. It must cost a fortune
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Since we're just USA light, there is no distinction between here & down there.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on November 04, 2019, 03:13:00 AM
Whats really bizzare is it tends to be in the less nice estates that you find houses which have really gone over the top. It must cost a fortune

Same thing at New Year's here. It's mostly the lower incomes who will spend hundreds or thousands of Euros on fireworks, it boggles the mind.

Syt

Yep, same here. Though I think having kids also is a factor. That said, in the previous districts where I was living in Vienna, kids with fireworks turned the area into a warzone two weeks before and a week after New Year's. In the bourgeois neighborhood I live in now it's much more subdued and happens almost entirely within the legal permissable time window on New Years Eve. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Maladict on November 04, 2019, 07:57:05 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 04, 2019, 03:13:00 AM

Same thing at New Year's here. It's mostly the lower incomes who will spends hundreds or thousands of Euros on fireworks, it boggles the mind.

There are reasons why the less well-off are less well-off  :lol:

Agelastus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 04, 2019, 02:51:53 AM

Really common in England too, mostly tree plus interior streamers etc, a few decorate the outside of the house too.

It's not overly common - there's only about four houses in my street that do it (three of which we get a good view of as they are my neighbour and two of the houses opposite.)

My neighbour has started decorating for Halloween as well, presumably as he has two kids the right age - I haven't heard "trick or treaters" down our street for years now - there was a period of five years when there were a lot of them all of a sudden and then it was back to normal just as abruptly.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

crazy canuck

It started as a German thing.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2019, 08:39:05 AM

Like poop?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

:huh:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza on November 04, 2019, 12:03:53 PM

:huh:

Oh tannenbuam.....

And became, well, this 

https://kaethe-wohlfahrt.com/Weihnachtsdorf-Rothenburg-o-d-Tauber/