And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Anyone familiar with https://www.militaryfactory.com/ ?

How does it rate as a reference?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on November 01, 2019, 01:15:45 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 31, 2019, 12:20:20 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on October 31, 2019, 10:57:36 AM
I hate Halloween and it annoys me when Europeans celebrate this American import.
:yes:

Especially since its supplanting the far superior guy fawkes <_<

The study book for the Life in the UK test found it important to emphasise that Halloween is NOT an American tradition but something deeply seated in ancient (British) pagan traditions. :D

My our Spanish student just LOVED Halloween.  She said she'd wanted to go trick-or-treating since she was about 5.

I asked her how she came to even know about it.  She said through Youtube videos.  At one point as a kid she watched a whole bunch of trick-or-treating videos.  She repeatedly pestered her parents to take her trick-or-treating: said parents of course had to say "we don't do that here".

So while 16 is a trifle old for it, she made her own costume (she went as Coraline), and went out with our kids.  And loved it.  Had a big grin.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on November 01, 2019, 04:04:53 PM

It's kind of a generic reference with anonymous writing and no citations, so not very authoritative, but better than Wikipedia from a completeness standpoint.  The writers seem to be able to separate wheat from chaff.  So, I'd rate it as useful but not the final word.  NavWeaps is better but more limited in coverage, especially for the latest stuff.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

A 7 year old trick or treater caught a stray bullet and died, I think in Chicago.

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on November 01, 2019, 06:42:30 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 01, 2019, 04:04:53 PM

It's kind of a generic reference with anonymous writing and no citations, so not very authoritative, but better than Wikipedia from a completeness standpoint.  The writers seem to be able to separate wheat from chaff.  So, I'd rate it as useful but not the final word.  NavWeaps is better but more limited in coverage, especially for the latest stuff.

Thanks  :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

1951: self service shopping comes to the UK - short report from the newsreels:
https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1190614536216182784?s=20

I don't think it'll catch on.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on November 02, 2019, 08:38:50 AM
1951: self service shopping comes to the UK - short report from the newsreels:
https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1190614536216182784?s=20

I don't think it'll catch on.

When you think about it and look at modern news reports on the death of the high Street et al... It really was just a bit of a fad
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Don't forget to FALL BACK. :contract:

Syt

Already did that last week. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

First weekend after Halloween and the giant turkeys are already out.

Josquius

You guys are lucky to have thanksgiving as a fire break I guess. Be thankful.
It's Xmas already here
██████
██████
██████

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 03, 2019, 06:33:32 PM
First weekend after Halloween and the giant turkeys are already out.

Last week when I came home from work at noon, I had a dozen wild turkeys lounging around in my backyard! I got some pics from the kitchen window, even walked up closer to them for some pics. Then after a while I herded them out of my yard as I didn't want all their droppings in the yard. Just walked towards them and they slowly moved off. Then I went around with a shovel to pick up all the crap. Was glad I shooed them off else I would have had a bigger mess.  <_<