Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 12, 2019, 01:18:33 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 12, 2019, 12:40:20 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 11, 2019, 03:22:28 AM
La Fayette looking like Macron ?! WUT?

Well they are both heroes unappreciated by their ungrateful country -_-

:lmfao:

Did they not both have rebels on the Champ de Mars? Macron is going to end up in an Austrian prison soon, mark my words.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on September 12, 2019, 01:26:15 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 12, 2019, 01:18:33 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 12, 2019, 12:40:20 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 11, 2019, 03:22:28 AM
La Fayette looking like Macron ?! WUT?

Well they are both heroes unappreciated by their ungrateful country -_-

:lmfao:

Did they not both have rebels on the Champ de Mars? Macron is going to end up in an Austrian prison soon, mark my words.

La Fayette was popular among the common people, at least in the beginning. Never happened with Zupiter.
Also, the Xanthimatiomachy preferred the Elysian Fields for their tumults.

But if Sebastian Kurz (or Strache) is willing to take him in, Austria will be a very popular country in France. :)

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2019, 01:05:47 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 12, 2019, 11:52:29 AM
It pretty much already is found in specially designated spaces in Europe and has been for decades if not centuries.

I thought I read somewhere that Europe is more forested right now then it has been in centuries?

Yes, since the 90s, IIRC. Less farming and increased protection against deforestation have resulted in an increase of 90k sq km of forested surface in the last decades.

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 12, 2019, 01:37:57 PM
But if Sebastian Kurz (or Strache) is willing to take him in, Austria will be a very popular country in France. :)

Because France has a long list of popular leaders they are eager to replace him with I am sure!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on September 12, 2019, 01:57:56 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 12, 2019, 01:37:57 PM

Because France has a long list of popular leaders they are eager to replace him with I am sure!

Right, because being more popular than this plutocratic sociopath who goes by the name of Macron is an easy task.  :P
Now, being more unpopular than him, there is no such list indeed. :) Macron even broke Flanby's record last year.

https://actu.orange.fr/politique/sondage-bva-orange-emmanuel-macron-plus-impopulaire-que-francois-hollande-magic-CNT0000019K2b8.html

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 12, 2019, 02:04:01 PM
Right, because being more popular than this plutocratic sociopath who goes by the name of Macron is an easy task.  :P
Now, being more unpopular than him, there is no such list indeed. :) Macron even broke Flanby's record last year.

https://actu.orange.fr/politique/sondage-bva-orange-emmanuel-macron-plus-impopulaire-que-francois-hollande-magic-CNT0000019K2b8.html

Well we will see how popular they are once they win.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on September 12, 2019, 02:12:10 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 12, 2019, 02:04:01 PM

Well we will see how popular they are once they win.

There can be only one!

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 12, 2019, 02:46:04 PM
There can be only one!

Well I just cannot help but notice that every President since Chirac has quickly one of the most hated men in France since Pierre Laval shortly after taking office. I am not sure why that is, it is just kind of weird.

The Minsky Moment

Macron's numbers have gone back up in recent months.  I believe he is also rated ahead of any potential Presidential contender.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on September 12, 2019, 02:53:07 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 12, 2019, 02:46:04 PM
There can be only one!

Well I just cannot help but notice that every President since Chirac has quickly one of the most hated men in France since Pierre Laval shortly after taking office. I am not sure why that is, it is just kind of weird.

I'd say Mitterrand, but Chirac became unpopular faster.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 12, 2019, 03:12:38 PM
Macron's numbers have gone back up in recent months.  I believe he is also rated ahead of any potential Presidential contender.

Since he sank to numbers in never before reached stygian depths, he could only rebound. The radicalisation and end of the mass appeal of the very heterogeneous yellow vest movement, after addressing temporarily some of the issues, and media manipulation, helped too.
He is taking another shot at unpopular reforms so expect more trouble. Some are purely motivated by ideology such as privatising Aéroports de Paris, a French State cash cow or PMA (En Marche for a Brave New World!). Others, such as pensions, might be different. The latter will cause the first of a mass public transportation strike in Paris/Île de France (yay!).
Even I will be en Marche for 50 minutes to get back home.

As for being rated ahead... Thanks to the bipolarisation which he provoked and enabled him to reconcile left and right bourgeoisies (the classic liberal ones as in pro free-market). The only effective opposition for now is RN, so Marine again. Very good news for Macron, who has some very friendly media on his side. Unlike a previous contender such as Fillon.

Talk about an achievement, the good-ol' FN/RN anti-fascism theatre trick, Mitterrand and Chirac approved.
I believe Marine would improve her score though in the run-off, since her "favourites" issues are not really addressed by Macron, to say the least.

PS: Richard Ferrand, president of the Assemblée Nationale and pillar of Macron's "majority" has been charged with unlawful taking of interest today. This, after his resignation early on in Macron's mandate for the same case.

Josquius

https://newsthump.com/2019/09/12/yellowhammer-wondering-what-its-done-wrong/

QuoteOne of Britain's most popular songbirds is wondering why everyone suddenly hates it this morning.

The bird – which is known for its vibrant colours of bright yellow and streaky brown, similar to Nigel Farage's underpants – was until yesterday best known for cheerfully singing on the top of hedgerows before public opinion turned rapidly against it overnight.

"I can't do anything right," said Yellowhammer Simon Warbler.

"I was merrily chirruping to greet the dawn this morning – you know, to cheer up all the commuters like you do – and a bloke in a van shouted I was a fearmongering wanker.

"I mean, what brought that on?

"Then not five minutes later I heard someone on the radio say I was going to destroy their business which they'd spent twenty years building.

"I mean, yeah, I sometimes crap on your car but that's hardly bankruptcy and unemployment material is it?"
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Read an article in Stars & Stripes about a Marine tacking a couple teens fighting at a recruiting event (trying to break up the fight), with an actual quote from his chain of command; "the Marine Corp does not condone violence".  ^_^

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas