News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on July 13, 2019, 08:10:20 PM
They played a drum "solo" (since they were all 3) at the beginning of the second set that was great. But I thought that in some songs they tended to drown out the rest of the band. In particular in their more recent stuff (which I don't give much of a shit about, so I didn't care).

But yeah, I had a great time. Brought my mom to it, since she used to sing me "In the Court of the Krimson King" when I was a child, so I got some mother-son quality bonding time as a bonus.

Nice story.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

It's bizzare. No sooner have I finished my last day of work than I seem to have contracted the flu. Its as of all the evil has caught up with me at once now I'm no longer in permanent fight or flight mode.
Just hope it goes in time for job interview next week :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on July 13, 2019, 07:43:03 PM
Quote from: celedhring on July 12, 2019, 07:14:57 AM
Got tickets for King Crimson tomorrow. :)

I checked the setlist online, and unlike last time they came to Barcelona in the 1990s, this time they do have a fanservice-ish setlist.

Just came back from this. I had kinda given up on ever being able to see King Crimson* live playing classic King Crimson stuff, so this was great. The live version of Starless was an absolute delight. Also for no apparent reason they now carry 3 drummers.

*Since now it's pretty much Fripp + randoms, this is approaching "ship of Theseus" status, but I'll take it.

I have rickets to see them in Toronto in sept. - having no idea whatsoever what they will play.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on July 15, 2019, 08:02:54 AM
I have rickets to see them in Toronto in sept. - having no idea whatsoever what they will play.  :lol:

:o Get well soon  :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on July 15, 2019, 08:26:51 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 15, 2019, 08:02:54 AM

:o Get well soon  :(

I don't think I can recover from Prog Rock.

Or rickets.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Regarding prog rock and my mom. She introduced me to it, she's a huge fan of those bands. And one of the funniest things is that since she doesn't speak English beyond basic words/phrases, there are a lot of songs that she loves but she's never known what they are really about. One of those is Epitaph. Our conversation the other day was something like this:

"Epitaph is such a beautiful song, makes me feel so good and relaxed"
"Mom, it's about the nuclear apocalypse"
"Really?"
"Yes"
"Oh well, the music is so nice"

Savonarola

Saw this line in a BBC interview with Philip Glass and thought it was amusing.

QuoteAn element of this show is Phelim McDermott's love of your music. He says in 1985 he followed you down the street and was too shy to say hello. Have you ever had a moment where you were starstruck?

Oh yes. In my early days as a composer, I had day jobs as most people do. For a period of time I was driving taxis and Salvador Dali got in my cab. Can you believe that? With the moustaches and everything. And I was dying to talk to him.

But it was a very short ride. I took him from a restaurant back to his hotel, only about six blocks. And I was thinking, I've gotta say something. I never could think of anything to say to him. Better that, because I'm afraid that if I said something, whatever it was, it would have been probably very stupid. In the end I can say I missed meeting him by very little.

Bet Dali would have said something if Phil's taxi had looked like:

Meg White tended bar at one of the places I used to go.  That my brush with not yet realized greatness.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

KRonn

There was a car show a couple towns over from me and while I didn't go, I had the fun of seeing four vintage cars at a local coffee shop. They were probably on their way to the show. A couple of 30s roadsters, a sedan and a pickup truck. Very cool.   :cool: :)

dps

Quote from: celedhring on July 13, 2019, 07:43:03 PM
*Since now it's pretty much Fripp + randoms

That's more-or-less been the case for 20-some years, and arguably since the mid-70s.

katmai

Quote from: Savonarola on July 15, 2019, 04:19:06 PM
Saw this line in a BBC interview with Philip Glass and thought it was amusing.

Meg White tended bar at one of the places I used to go.  That my brush with not yet realized greatness.
my first ever job in film I got to talk with mr. Glass.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

I recently learned an indie band I rather like disbanded a few years ago. Oh shucks.
On a whim I decided to google some members names....
And oh wow.
It's their linked in profiles. Fascinating to read they were juggling pretty good jobs alongside the music.
Doing the same for some other bands half seem the same whilst others have mysterious career gaps.
I've uncovered a whole new realm of creepery here
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

"Greater Bavaria" and they pick...Stuttgart? Why?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.