News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Tbh, I don't see the point of the trolley baskets. You have to bend down to put things in them, and if I need to buy more stuff I will just get a regular shopping cart.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Yeah, the rolling ones are generally awful though they are better than just a hand basket if you need a lot on regular shopping carts are not available (which I have experienced).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

I vastly prefer them to carts. Carts are bulky and if the supermarket is packed is a bit of a PITA to maneuver them. I can fit my groceries in a trolley anyway (I only shop for one  :cry:).

Bending isn't really an issue (might be for older people, but they can get carts), since you only do it a few times as you drag the trolley throughout the aisles.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on March 13, 2019, 11:21:11 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 13, 2019, 11:18:35 AM
All I see is a 1 million $ liability suit.
It's Europe, your next of kin would get 25% off coupon for your funeral.

:lol:

Funny because it's true!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on March 13, 2019, 09:46:01 AM
I don't think Conakry is?  But it has Ebola, so there's that.

What's happening in Karachi?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2019, 09:12:12 AM
Well, the competition is tough:

QuotePersonal safety is an important factor when companies decide where to establish locations abroad and send expatriate workers. Criteria used for Personal Safety Ranking include: Internal Stability; Crime; Law Enforcement; Limitations on Personal Freedom; Media/Censorship.

All the cities ahead of Vienna in that ranking seem to have in common the fact that they're boring as hell. Vienna at least has a lively atmosphere.  :P

Malthus

Joking aside, these rankings always have a slight aura of absurdity to them, with their precision.

No doubt Oslo is safer than Caracas, but we all knew that already.  :D Whether Oslo is safer that Vienna is always going to be a somewhat arbitrary ranking exercise - the differences between the cities in (say) the top twenty are all going to be comparatively trivial.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Irish People Try America's Strongest Alcohol
Smirnoff 50%
Knob Creek 60%
Cruzan 75.5%
Clear Spring 95%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsUtcrQ7M0c

The girl in the green sweater sure can hold her liquor - she would drink Marion Ravenwood under the table in that Raiders of the Lost Ark scene.  :ph34r:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2019, 02:37:37 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 12, 2019, 01:43:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2019, 01:31:16 PM
Then I'd go for the S10.

Feels weird to type that.  I still have the original Galaxy S in a box somewhere.

:hmm: Why wouldn't you have sold your old phone?

For the price I'd have gotten for it, it was worth more to me to keep it as a backup.
Yeah, its not worth selling old phones really unless you're the kind of person updating every few months. Which is a nutty thing to do.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2019, 01:25:06 PM
Irish People Try America's Strongest Alcohol
Smirnoff 50%
Knob Creek 60%
Cruzan 75.5%
Clear Spring 95%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsUtcrQ7M0c

The girl in the green sweater sure can hold her liquor - she would drink Marion Ravenwood under the table in that Raiders of the Lost Ark scene.  :ph34r:

The Charles Manson dude was way too enthusiastic about American-made Smirnoff.  The only drinkable stuff in there was the Knob.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Btw, how often do people actually do shots of liquor in different countries?  My Argentine in-laws thought I was insane for doing one shot of rum the first time I was down there.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Here in Austria you might have one at the bar, usually a local schnaps of some sort, often a fruit based one (though Zirbengeist is quite amazing, which uses cones from Swiss Pines for flavor). Having one after a large dinner is not uncommon.

In Northern Germany, esp. in the countryside, you'll often order a "Herrengedeck" in a pub which is a shot of grain schnaps (rye, wheat, barley or whatever) and a beer (usually pils) as chaser. In my town you would often order it as "ein Kurzer und ein Langes" (a short one and a long one).

On Korn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korn_(liquor)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

I've given up doing shots altogether, regardless of location.

Caliga

I like to drink sippable alcohol.  If you have to do it as a shot, it's crap.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

I do sometimes sip things out of a shot glass, though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points