News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Apparently the liberals want to get Macron to campaign down here during the local election in support of Valls (who still hasn't formally accepted but rumors say that he will) - given that the local election will be held together with the European election in May 2019, and there are plans for some sort of joint campaigning between En Marche and Ciudadanos (are En Marche in ALDE?), it would feel less weird than it seems.

So I guess we're getting annexed into France again  :P

Beats independence, and the separatists would get their Republic. Two birds, one :frog: stone.

Duque de Bragança

Valls is not at En Marche despite his wishes.  :P Too late of a turncoat and he had "issues" with Macron.
However, Macron's party is not at ALDE so Vall's peculiar status won't be a problem for European elections.

French media report about Valls' putative campaign for Barcelona now.  :D

celedhring

Is there precedent of a foreigner being elected mayor of a major European city?

We have a couple of foreign mayors, but in very small towns.

Duque de Bragança

Foreigner as foreign-born and/or double/dual citizenship?

Depending on your criteria, Notre Dame des bobos de Paris, Ana/Anne Hidalgo.  :P
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Hidalgo

France would be better off without those two.  :P

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 21, 2018, 09:54:38 AM
Foreigner as foreign-born and/or double/dual citizenship?

Depending on your criteria, Notre Dame des bobos de Paris, Ana/Anne Hidalgo.  :P
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Hidalgo

France would be better off without those two.  :P

No dual citizenship. Valls actually doesn't have a Spanish passport.

Under EU rules EU nationals can stand for local elections anywhere within the EU. I wondered if this has yet led to a biggish city electing a mayor that's not a national from that country, or Valls would be a first.

Josquius

At what age is it normal that people stop going out on weekends? :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

31. It should be 30 but humans are slow learners.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on April 21, 2018, 03:51:39 PM
At what age is it normal that people stop going out on weekends? :hmm:

When they pair bond.

Eddie Teach

Does the grocery store count as "going out"? :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 22, 2018, 12:04:50 AM

Apparently it does when you stop and have one beer on the way back.  One beer  <_<
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 23, 2018, 10:52:58 AM

Apparently it does when you stop and have one beer on the way back.  One beer  <_<

If I had a husband who was drinking at the grocery store, I'd take issue too. What would the neighbors say?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on April 23, 2018, 10:55:49 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 23, 2018, 10:52:58 AM

If I had a husband who was drinking at the grocery store, I'd take issue too. What would the neighbors say?

Obviously I'm making a stop on the way back. 

But since you mentioned drinking at the grocery store, that is now a thing.  Many Kroger locations are putting in craft beer growler stations and/or bars.  My local store has a wine tasting bar and has been promising to add some beer taps for a couple years now.  Other chains are doing the same thing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

I know it happens. Even Waitrose has a location in London with one. Another thing though to participate in that. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Grab On is probably more of a Buffalo Wild Wings kind of guy.

garbon