Cool map of the day: the date when each existing border in the world was set

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4596/24556520177_d5a5b6d97a_o.png

The oldest is Andorran border between France and Spain - 1278

derspiess

Quote from: celedhring on January 02, 2018, 10:01:54 AM

Interesting.  I was born well after all the meaningful borders were established.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Cool, indeed. Nice find Celedh.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

I love the fact that the border bisecting the island of New Guinea was established decades before any outsider had ever stepped foot in the interior of the place or made contact with the people actually living there:

QuoteBefore about 1930, European maps showed the highlands as uninhabited forests.[citation needed] When first flown over by aircraft, numerous settlements with agricultural terraces and stockades were observed. The most startling discovery took place on 4 August 1938, when Richard Archbold discovered the Grand Valley of the Baliem River, which had 50,000 yet-undiscovered Stone Age farmers living in orderly villages. The people, known as the Dani, were the last society of its size to make first contact with the rest of the world.[38]

The border was established in 1848 and 1895.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on January 02, 2018, 10:52:23 AM

Interesting.  I was born well after all the meaningful borders were established.

I'm curious as to what setting the border means here. I guess the first time that was the border than now matches current borders? Thinking particularly of say the Balkans with its round of border changes in the 90s through to say Kosovo's independence.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Per a new law that took effect on the 1st, some Oregonians can begin pumping their own gas.

Judging by the Facebook comments about it, Oregon is filled with small children that will all die now that they have the option to do so.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

Quote from: HVC on January 02, 2018, 01:37:29 PM
only some? Who can now?

QuoteHowever, In Oregon a law passed by the Legislature in May 2017 and signed into law by Gov. Kate Brown in June will allow Oregon counties with 40,000 residents or less to deviate and allow for customers to pump their own fuel. The new law went to effect January 1, 2018

So cute.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on January 02, 2018, 01:26:16 PM
Per a new law that took effect on the 1st, some Oregonians can begin pumping their own gas.

Judging by the Facebook comments about it, Oregon is filled with small children that will all die now that they have the option to do so.

Wait...what? Up until 2018 you were a criminal if you pumped your own gas?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Not only a criminal, but also probably some sort of superhuman intelligence judging by the reactions of some Oregonians.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on January 02, 2018, 01:42:49 PM

gotta keep those pump jockies employed.

I only knew about it because of a languish poster (Fahdiz, Camper? )
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on January 02, 2018, 01:45:20 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 02, 2018, 01:42:49 PM

gotta keep those pump jockies employed.

I only knew about it because of a languish poster (Fahdiz, Camper? )

I wonder what Oregon does with self order menus at fast food restaurants

sbr

Pumping your own gas is for suckers.

I hadn't even heard about that new law. Based on 2010 census numbers 18 out of 36 counties in Oregon have less than 40k people.

Caliga

New Jersey still doesn't trust people to pump their own gas.  Apparently gasoline is more explosive there, or everyone smokes and refuses to put their cigarettes out while pumping, or something.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Just learned six NFL teams don't have cheerleaders.