News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

It is odd they haven't banned that yet. The Spanish themselves seem to be significantly against it.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Tourists and a small but very devoted following keep it alive.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 12, 2017, 02:54:29 AM
When in Spain... /shrug

I believe I've been to Spain before and I didn't watch any bull fighting.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

You probably skipped the gladiators in Rome too.

garbon

I don't think I'll catch a gondola in Venice either :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 12, 2017, 02:54:29 AM
When in Spain... /shrug

I've been in Spain for 30+ years and I haven't watched any bull fighting  :P

Eddie Teach

No appreciation for your bloodthirsty culture.  :(

Tell me you've at least witnessed an auto da fe.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on October 12, 2017, 02:51:53 AM
Tourists and a small but very devoted following keep it alive.

Nice try.

celedhring

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 12, 2017, 07:43:45 AM

I celebrated one  :menace:

[spoiler](Theatre play)[/spoiler]

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on October 12, 2017, 09:27:00 AM

It is interesting that auto da fe has come to mean burning at the stake, when the original term meant the penance ("act of faith") that generally averted the burning.  Only those who refused the auto de fe (or who were relapsed heretics after doing an auto de fe earlier) were burned in the original conception.  Does anyone with a better understanding of the Inquisitions want to explain why the phrase went from meaning "something done to avoid being burned at the stake" to meaning "burning at the stake?"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Hey, Torquemada, whaddaya say?
I just got back from the auto-da-fé
Auto-da-fé, what's an auto-da-fé?
It's what you oughtn't to do but you do anyway
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: grumbler on October 12, 2017, 10:46:34 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 12, 2017, 09:27:00 AM

It is interesting that auto da fe has come to mean burning at the stake, when the original term meant the penance ("act of faith") that generally averted the burning.  Only those who refused the auto de fe (or who were relapsed heretics after doing an auto de fe earlier) were burned in the original conception.  Does anyone with a better understanding of the Inquisitions want to explain why the phrase went from meaning "something done to avoid being burned at the stake" to meaning "burning at the stake?"

From my limited knowledge, it was because performing an act of faith didn't actually end up doing much to keep you from being burned at the stake (or executed by some other means), at least with the Spanish Inquisition.

MadBurgerMaker

Some dude in a stolen Hellcat was involved in a high speed chase in Houston (very quickly became Houston area lolz).  Outran the cops and the news helo was having trouble keeping up at times. https://www.click2houston.com/news/police-chase-from-houston-to-beaumont-area-exceeds-100-mph

Did Ed end up getting one of those, or was it a different version? 

Ed Anger

I got a Hellcat. Thought about the Demon, but one seat? Please.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive