News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Reread Les Miserables.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 21, 2017, 11:18:54 AM
Reread Les Miserables.

I'd have to read it a first time to do that.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on June 21, 2017, 11:10:32 AM
Euros tended to die when exposed to the New World. That is where the term 'seasoning' comes from. I know those cannot all be battlefield casualties anyway because the total casualties for the US side was less than 10K, much less 25K deaths so that must be from all causes.

Europeans tended to die when exposed to tropical rain forests, whether in the New World or Africa.  They didn't tend to die in temperate regions of either place.  Smallpox was a big issue in the British Army, though, and the Prussians deserted in large numbers.  I agree with you that the numbers must be from all causes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 21, 2017, 10:47:28 AM
I'm re-reading Max Boot's not very good book on guerilla war and was somewhat surprised to read that during the American Revolution Britain, including German mercenaries, had more dead (43K) than the US (25K).

Savage wars of Peace? I liked that one.

Also C4 back in the day threw a fit when I mentioned reading it. NEOCONS!

What a loser.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

C4 will always be a 15 y/o Social Democrat in my heart. :wub:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 21, 2017, 12:40:06 PM

C4

I wonder what happened to that guy, and if his penis ever got better.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 21, 2017, 12:40:06 PM
Savage wars of Peace? I liked that one.

I did too.  I'm talking about Invisible Armies.

Ed Anger

Oooooo. A new book to buy. Danke.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 21, 2017, 01:17:32 PM
Oooooo. A new book to buy. Danke.

Don't bother.  It's a bunch of nothing.

Ed Anger

Got the girls a Dji Phantom 3 quadcopter drone. So now I have a Luftwaffe element to my kampfgruppe.

Man, when I was nine, I was jumping curbs with my bike. Kids nowadays are wanting robotic shit.

I'VE BEEN LEFT BEHIND.  :cry:

They also wanted my replica Calvary saber to attach to the drone. I'm scared.

DGuller

I'm re-reading Max Boot's not very good book on guerilla war and was somewhat surprised to read that during the American Revolution Britain, including German mercenaries, had more dead (43K) than the US (25K).
Do the US dead include POWs?  From what I remember, you were better off being a Soviet prisoner in a Nazi camp than a US prisoner in a British camp.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on June 21, 2017, 08:43:35 PM
Do the US dead include POWs?  From what I remember, you were better off being a Soviet prisoner in a Nazi camp than a US prisoner in a British camp.

Beats me.

dps

Quote from: Valmy on June 21, 2017, 11:10:32 AM

Euros tended to die when exposed to the New World. That is where the term 'seasoning' comes from. I know those cannot all be battlefield casualties anyway because the total casualties for the US side was less than 10K, much less 25K deaths so that must be from all causes.

According to Wikipedia (yeah, I know, take it with a grain of salt) US battle deaths were 6800 (not counting the French);  British battle deaths (including the German mercs) were a bit over 12,000.  The French suffered about 2100 hundred dead in the Americas, but it's not clear if that's total deaths or just battle deaths.  Either way, it appears that the British did suffer considerably more battle deaths.

FWIW, the 6800 battle deaths for the US sounds about right, going off what I remember from reading other sources.