And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 30, 2017, 10:38:24 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2017, 10:36:58 PM
We have actually discussed this before. IIRC Mono said there is some brand of GMs that the Chinese consider really prestigious.

I've read somewhere that Buicks are considered pussy magnets in China.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

Hilarious how that works. 

Then again, I remember talking to a Euro about BMW being a status symbol, and he was, like,  :huh: "those are our police cars..."

Zanza

The police in my hometown drives Mercedes and the fire department drives Porsches for their emergency doctors.

11B4V

That's a rather stupid looking EV.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on January 30, 2017, 10:50:31 PM
The police in my hometown drives Mercedes and the fire department drives Porsches for their emergency doctors.

See?  As my grandmother would say, just putting on airs.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 30, 2017, 10:52:23 PM

"Feuerwehr?"
"Feuerthere!"

Tamas

Let's just face it: buying Mercedes, let alone Porsche, even for emergency services, is either corruption or at the very least negligence with public funds.

It's like the BMW SUVs I see as firemen vehicles.

celedhring

Most police forces over here use el cheapo Seats or Citroëns. Land Rover is also popular for the bigger SUV-ish ones.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on January 31, 2017, 06:15:18 AM

Let's just face it: buying Mercedes, let alone Porsche, even for emergency services, is either corruption or at the very least negligence with public funds.

It's like the BMW SUVs I see as firemen vehicles.

In the old days, Porsche even made tractors. Mercedes still makes busses.

Monoriu

HK police buys a lot of vehicles from Mercedes.  Nothing from Porsche though. 

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 30, 2017, 10:38:24 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2017, 10:36:58 PM
We have actually discussed this before. IIRC Mono said there is some brand of GMs that the Chinese consider really prestigious.

I've read somewhere that Buicks are considered pussy magnets in China.

About 15 years ago, yeah. GM was one of the first foreign car makers to enter the market, so getting a Buick was a serious status symbol. More expensive, better quality, imported. Compared to everyone riding a bike or driving a very shitty Chinese made car, you looked high class.

That was then. Now the prestige cars are things like Land Rover, Aston Martin, Bentley, Lamborghini et. al. BMW and Mercedes rate as well, though a step below as in the West. I think the higher end American brands (Lincoln and Cadillac) place there as well, and someone rolling around in a Hummer is obviously

A Buick would probably be considered cooler than the equivalent model from a Japanese or Korean manufacturer, and definitely compared to an equivalent Chinese model (though they've come a long way since 15 years ago). "Pussy magnet" is probably no longer particularly true unless you're specifically targeting girls from the countryside or those from poorer backgrounds.

The Brain

BMW here is an immigrant car.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 30, 2017, 10:44:06 PM
Hilarious how that works. 

Then again, I remember talking to a Euro about BMW being a status symbol, and he was, like,  :huh: "those are our police cars..."

Over here BMW is the "rich jerk" car brand.

celedhring

Mercedes the "old fashioned rich jerk" car.