News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I always get sucked into procedurals. Every time I catch one flipping channels I just can't avoid watching it through the end. I HAVE TO KNOW WHO'S THE KILLER DAMMIT.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on October 11, 2016, 05:40:46 AM
I always get sucked into procedurals. Every time I catch one flipping channels I just can't avoid watching it through the end. I HAVE TO KNOW WHO'S THE KILLER DAMMIT.

Oh yeah I always love a procedural as long as it isn't too dull (or doesn't feature an annoying know it all like say L&O: Criminal Intent...). My SVU watching only declined because I moved to the UK. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

I am getting bored of superheroes, heavily, and I think there is something wrong culturally, if you can only sell otherwise decent crime series by giving the lead role to superheroes.
It's juvenile, in a bad way.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on October 11, 2016, 07:37:52 AM
I am getting bored of superheroes, heavily, and I think there is something wrong culturally, if you can only sell otherwise decent crime series by giving the lead role to superheroes.

Police procedurals have been done to death and it's really hard to find a fresh concept, and shows are 75% sold on fresh concepts. Fantasy-themed detectives is a bit of an easy way out, but I think "culturally wrong" is a bit harsh.

Also, there's loads of traditional procedurals out there so I don't think you're being fair.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on October 11, 2016, 07:46:55 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 11, 2016, 07:37:52 AM

Police procedurals have been done to death and it's really hard to find a fresh concept, and shows are 75% sold on fresh concepts. Fantasy-themed detectives is a bit of an easy way out, but I think "culturally wrong" is a bit harsh.

Also, there's loads of traditional procedurals out there so I don't think you're being fair.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

What I mean is, you don't see reviews of traditional crime series on the more geekish websites and blogs and such.

Take such a script, put a super hero, like a very strong emo lady, or a blind ninja, into the lead role, and suddenly it's all the rage.

It is juvenile. Adults should not require the presence of a fairy tale figure to be interested in a story.

lustindarkness

That sucks.  The local morning news is gonna save me? Well, at least the hot traffic girl will know the best routes, and the silly weather guy has a good storm chaser truck.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Josquius

I've just realised via using work computers sans adblock.  The key to succesful youtube advertising lies in a  video which is around 10 seconds long;  it ain't worth the energy of skipping.
Wonder if the exact optimum has been studied.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on October 11, 2016, 07:58:46 AM
What I mean is, you don't see reviews of traditional crime series on the more geekish websites and blogs and such.

Take such a script, put a super hero, like a very strong emo lady, or a blind ninja, into the lead role, and suddenly it's all the rage.

It is juvenile. Adults should not require the presence of a fairy tale figure to be interested in a story.

Well then it isn't all that geekish, no? ;)

Anyway, I think of the AV Club reviewers as quite geeky and they often review shows without fantasy elements.

grumbler

I agree with you.  Superheroes are the least interesting of the fantasy tropes.  If writers need to inject fantasy into their procedurals, aliens, or time travelers, or magic would all work better.  It is kind of sad that modern producers don't appear to think their audiences could handle intellectual fantasy, and so take the lazy route of the superhero.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on October 11, 2016, 10:20:51 AM

I agree with you.  Superheroes are the least interesting of the fantasy tropes.  If writers need to inject fantasy into their procedurals, aliens, or time travelers, or magic would all work better.  It is kind of sad that modern producers don't appear to think their audiences could handle intellectual fantasy, and so take the lazy route of the superhero.

Aren't they in business?

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on October 11, 2016, 10:20:51 AM

I agree with you.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2016, 05:21:47 PM
This is really cool. :)

https://www.buzzfeed.com/carolinekee/this-teen-is-giving-period-products-to-homeless-women?utm_term=.qoRKV349A#.reg8Gn534

Before I clicked/read the article, I thought she was giving homeless women replica antique items from historical periods.  :blush:

I blame Languish for making me jump to that conclusion.  :P

Ed Anger

I just stepped on one of my son's army men. SONOFABITCH THAT HURTS
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive