News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Solar panels were a fad in Nevada for a while, but now the solar companies are going out of business. Why? Buffett bought NV Energy. Then they got the utility commission to change the rules in such a way that buying solar panels and connecting to the grid would never have an ROI. Where is Captain Planet?  :P

http://vegasinc.com/business/2016/feb/18/drop-off-in-nevada-rooftop-solar-applications-send/

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

celedhring

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 02, 2016, 06:54:22 PM
Solar panels were a fad in Nevada for a while, but now the solar companies are going out of business. Why? Buffett bought NV Energy. Then they got the utility commission to change the rules in such a way that buying solar panels and connecting to the grid would never have an ROI. Where is Captain Planet?  :P

http://vegasinc.com/business/2016/feb/18/drop-off-in-nevada-rooftop-solar-applications-send/

Our government did pretty much the same. Yay for crony capitalism.  :glare:

Josquius

Not sure if I'm being paranoid and half asleep here....
But just woke up in the middle of the night with a massive noise from my door.
Went and checked and though there was nobody there I'm sure my keys in the lock were previously with a  locked door but now were with a closed door.
A few days ago just heard a story from someone about how someone tried to break into their apartment at night.
Terrifying.
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Tyr--you're like the only dude in Switzerland without an assault rifle.  :P

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on March 02, 2016, 10:14:24 PM
Went and checked and though there was nobody there I'm sure my keys in the lock were previously with a  locked door but now were with a closed door.
A few days ago just heard a story from someone about how someone tried to break into their apartment at night.
Terrifying.

It's perfectly normal to wake up because you thought you heard a noise. But I'm pretty sure no one tried to break into your apartment in the middle of the night, perhaps if you lived in a house, but apartment break ins are surely for midday when people are mostly working.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Archy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 02, 2016, 10:20:04 PM
Tyr--you're like the only dude in Switzerland without an assault rifle.  :P
Since he's like the only dude who wasn't conscripted in the Swiss army. Doesn't seem like helping him owning one. Besides the Swiss got their's for free.

Josquius

An assault rifle...
1: rather overkill for "I think someone is at my door"
2: not much good without ammunition  (an interesting point I often see American gun fans either ignore or have no idea about when the subject comes up)

Quote from: Liep on March 03, 2016, 02:13:13 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 02, 2016, 10:14:24 PM
Terrifying.

It's perfectly normal to wake up because you thought you heard a noise. But I'm pretty sure no one tried to break into your apartment in the middle of the night, perhaps if you lived in a house, but apartment break ins are surely for midday when people are mostly working.

As I say, just last week a guy told me about someone trying to break into his place whilst he slept- in his case he actually did see the guy and the police caught the crook.
And I am normally very good about automatically locking my door when I come home- the keys were even in the lock.
Either way
1: I am investigating whether I can add a second lock to my door.
2: I must never forget to plug my security camera in (stupid euros not having switches)
3: I'm going to have to make sure that when I'm home at least that there's something in front of the door too.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Wut? Plugging and switching security cameras?

Norgy

I really should cut down on my coffee intake, I think.
I slept a mere 4 hours last night. That might not be optimal.

celedhring

Yeah, I am having trouble sleeping lately too, despite not being particularly stressed at the moment. I suspect my tolerance for caffeine has weakened with age...

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on March 03, 2016, 06:45:48 AM
I don't want to leave it on when I'm home or it will be emailing me non-stop with naked pictures of myself.
Without a switch on the plug or the camera itself, it has to be unplugged.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on March 03, 2016, 07:16:54 AM
I don't want to leave it on when I'm home or it will be emailing me non-stop with naked pictures of myself.

But where is that security camera installed? Inside your own appartment? What's the point of that?

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on March 03, 2016, 07:18:31 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 03, 2016, 07:16:54 AM

But where is that security camera installed? Inside your own appartment? What's the point of that?
To see people coming through the door or entering the living room.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

People are entering your apartment and walking around in the living room? Have you considered locking your front door?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Quote from: Liep on March 03, 2016, 07:37:01 AM
People are entering your apartment and walking around in the living room? Have you considered locking your front door?
They are not.
If they broke in however they would be.
██████
██████
██████