News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Let it Go? Anything from Lion King? I'll make a man out of you - Mulan?
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on March 26, 2015, 02:13:23 PM
I'm assuming musicals don't count?

The LEGO Movie.

That song was terrible. :thumbsdown:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Either "To Sir With Love" or "That Thing You Do."

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on March 26, 2015, 02:09:13 PM
I was thinking of something odd today. What is the best ever song in a movie...that was actually IN the movie.
I don't mean movie soundtrack even if it was specifically created for the film.
I mean a song that was created for the movie (or made super famous by it perhaps...though that could be a different category) and was actually played by major characters or danced along to by them or whatever (background band which happened to be playing a song irrelevantly need not apply).

In-movie bands playing covers of previously existing songs also count.

"Big Bottom" by Spinal Tap.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on March 26, 2015, 02:09:13 PM
I was thinking of something odd today. What is the best ever song in a movie...that was actually IN the movie.
I don't mean movie soundtrack even if it was specifically created for the film.
I mean a song that was created for the movie (or made super famous by it perhaps...though that could be a different category) and was actually played by major characters or danced along to by them or whatever (background band which happened to be playing a song irrelevantly need not apply).

In-movie bands playing covers of previously existing songs also count.

Eddie and the Cruisers.

Malthus

More seriously ... "I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow" in O Brother, Where Art Thou?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

"Shout" in Animal House.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 26, 2015, 02:50:08 PM
"Shout" in Animal House.

That was a cover of a song that had been famous

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on March 26, 2015, 02:30:59 PM
More seriously ... "I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow" in O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Good one. I'll throw in Urge Overkill's "Girl You'll Be A Woman Soon." Not written for the movie AFAIK but made widely popular by it, and Mia Wallace dances to it. Similarly, Tito and Tarantula's After Dark from From Dusk Till Dawn.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

Don't you forget about me in Breakfast Club.
Ghostbusters.
Eye of the Tiger in Rocky.
Footloose.

There are many more, but a few from the 80's that pop into my head.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

crazy canuck

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 26, 2015, 03:02:04 PM
Don't you forget about me in Breakfast Club.
Ghostbusters.
Eye of the Tiger in Rocky.
Footloose.

There are many more, but a few from the 80's that pop into my head.

"I don't mean movie soundtrack even if it was specifically created for the film."

Syt

Well, Ghostbusters was sung (briefly) in Ghostbusters 2 when they appear at the children's birthday party, IIRC.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

Ah, like songs that were sung by the characters in the movie?   :wacko: :hmm: I don't think my memory is that good.  :(

Edit: And no musicals right?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

I'll have to go with Hakuna Matata :D for now, I got to get back to work, but I'll keep thinking about it I'm sure.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom