News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Mine was type 3. Came at its regularly scheduled bowel movement(8-9am)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

The youngest niece's 7th birthday is Saturday;  she doesn't know it yet, but the flight to Disneyland takes off at 10:30.  My sister's gonna videotape the announcement when she gets their asses up to pack.  Getting her up in the morning is like pulling teeth, but I don't think it'll be a problem then.

And the 9 year old got her braces this week.  She loves them.  Weirdo kid.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 05, 2013, 08:07:39 AM
The youngest niece's 7th birthday is Saturday;  she doesn't know it yet, but the flight to Disneyland takes off at 10:30.  My sister's gonna videotape the announcement when she gets their asses up to pack.  Getting her up in the morning is like pulling teeth, but I don't think it'll be a problem then.

And the 9 year old got her braces this week.  She loves them.  Weirdo kid.
Cute.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

I get mail and animal duty, and unfettered access to their fridge.

Ed Anger

Seedy is gonna do his laundry over there.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on June 05, 2013, 07:15:53 AM
Funny how tourism works. The cathedral and baptistery next to the leaning tower are way more interesting and get completely ignored (the other interesting places in Pisa even more so), but a roughly equally interesting cathedral in Siena is suddenly a must see.

Anyways, visiting Italy in August? I'd avoid the usual tourist hotspots like the plague, basically everything you mentioned including San Marino.
The South is out too, because of the heat. I'd stick to the north and visit Turin, Bologna, Ravenna, Mantua or Padua instead. 

Yeah I'm kinda surprised Funk didn't mention Rome as touristy. I went in March and bits like the Vatican were still pretty packed, so I wouldn't want to imagine August.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 05, 2013, 08:07:39 AM

So their shooting a Disney commercial? :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Josquius

QuoteAnyways, visiting Italy in August? I'd avoid the usual tourist hotspots like the plague, basically everything you mentioned including San Marino.
The South is out too, because of the heat. I'd stick to the north and visit Turin, Bologna, Ravenna, Mantua or Padua instead. 
Turin is kind of tempting me due to the Juventus connection. Didn't know there was much worth seeing up in those towns though.

QuoteRome and Florence are great, of course. Florence is overwhelmed by tourists. Pisa only has the leaning tower where everyone has to take their obligatory "IM HOLDING UP THE TOWA MOM" photo, and it costs 18 euro just to climb to the top  :blink:

Lucca is beautiful and I advise spending some time there. Fewer tourists and when I was there they were having a festival and the main piazzas were filled with people. The old town walls have been converted into a giant park and walking around the town on a beautiful sunny day on top of an old and intact Renaissance wall is a great experience.

Siena is really cool. The town hall has some great medieval frescoes and the cathedral is a sight to behold. I also really liked Assisi, though it's kind of touristy too, trying to cater to the pilgrims visiting St. Francis' tomb.

If you get a chance, climb Vesuvius. I got some pretty cool views of Naples from the top of the volcano.  :cool:

Pisa is that lame huh?
It does seem to have a pretty major airport so felt it might have more. I shall head elsewhere I guess!
Don't think I'll head down to the south. I'm looking far more around central Italy and maybe the north. Really want to see some awesome historic architecture.
Tourists do suck but alas they're inevitable. Any less touristed old and awesome towns?

Quote from: The Larch on June 05, 2013, 04:43:41 AM
Barcelona - Valencia - Madrid in August? Do you enjoy sweating?
I do traditionally hate hot weather. But through living in Japan I've grown used to it.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 05, 2013, 07:01:49 AM
In Pisa one person I was with pissed off some Nigerian peddling some cheap sunglasses and he followed us for a couple minutes screaming "FOOK YU!"  :lol:

I had a pissed off hooker do the same to me in Amsterdam. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

My one trip to Rome was a short one day trip. I arrived at sunrise so I sneaked in the forum area before they started selling tickets, by lunchtime I saw all of that area for free. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

garbon

Quote from: lustindarkness on June 05, 2013, 09:50:59 AM
My one trip to Rome was a short one day trip. I arrived at sunrise so I sneaked in the forum area before they started selling tickets, by lunchtime I saw all of that area for free. :)

:hmm:

I wonder if they changed that. I don't recall paying to see the forum when I was in Rome. Now that I'm looking up it looks like Colosseum, Palatine and forum are now on one ticket.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on June 05, 2013, 11:14:54 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on June 05, 2013, 09:50:59 AM

:hmm:

I wonder if they changed that. I don't recall paying to see the forum when I was in Rome. Now that I'm looking up it looks like Colosseum, Palatine and forum are now on one ticket.

You can wonder the Forum grounds for free.  To get up on the Palatine hill you need a ticket.  There is a ticket booth in the Forum area at the base of the stairs up to the Palatine hill.  The same ticket will get you into the Colosseum.  The line up for the Palatine ticket booth is very short while the line up for the Colosseum ticket booth can be very long (especially during the tourist season).  So going to the Palatine booth a good way of avoiding the line up.