Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korea

It is 1:33am and I can't sleep!!  ???
I want my mother fucking points!

Admiral Yi

Anyone else catch the historic 60 Minutes interview with Bernanke?  Unprecedented, first interview ever granted by a Fed Chairman.

derspiess

Late last night on Adult Swim I caught an episode of the Brit show "Look Around You", which is a spoof on semi-educational TV shows of the late 70s & early 80s.  Funny as balls, and extremely well done.  It took me a minute or two of watching before I was sure it wasn't actually produced during that time period :D

I think it had the guy who played the jerk roommate in Shaun of the Dead.

Anywho, I'm going to try to hunt down some episodes online-- hopefully there are some that are as good as the "Computers" episode.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2009, 03:06:09 PM
Late last night on Adult Swim I caught an episode of the Brit show "Look Around You", which is a spoof on semi-educational TV shows of the late 70s & early 80s.  Funny as balls, and extremely well done.  It took me a minute or two of watching before I was sure it wasn't actually produced during that time period :D

I think it had the guy who played the jerk roommate in Shaun of the Dead.

Anywho, I'm going to try to hunt down some episodes online-- hopefully there are some that are as good as the "Computers" episode.

1st series (short ten minute bits) or second (tomorrows world style half hour science show)?
1st was much better.
Its awesome though yes.

Youtube has most of the first series I think; has their titles as suggested searches
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5cWWV0KNDg

Odd that it'd be shown in America, it seems so nostalgically British.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

It's a mystery how the city of Detroit keeps running into budget trouble when our councilmen are such fiscally responsible people:
QuoteDetroit councilman Kenyatta, candidate for mayor, defaults on mortgage
Kwame Kenyatta says he, wife decided to give up house after failing to reach deal with lenders.
David Josar / The Detroit News
DETROIT -- Kwame Kenyatta, a city councilman and newly announced mayoral candidate, and his wife have handed the bank the keys to their North Rosedale Park house and walked away from the mortgage.

Kenyatta spent part of Monday cleaning the empty house, which Monifa Kenyatta bought for $225,000 in late 2004, and which has begun to fall into disrepair. Monday morning, a downspout had fallen off and mail and advertising circulars piled by the home's front door. By afternoon, after Kenyatta was contacted by The Detroit News, the spout was fixed and the two-story brick home was free of clutter.

The councilman said the couple moved out in December and decided to default on their mortgage after unsuccessfully seeking a solution with a mortgage company. He said they considered selling the house at a loss and turning over the deed to the mortgage company in exchange for forgiving their debt. Kenyatta said the house goes up for a foreclosure sale in April.
"Everyone kept saying 'We don't have a program for you,' " said Kenyatta, who makes $81,312 a year as a councilman and gets free use of a Ford Crown Victoria. Standing outside the house Monday night, he pointed to house after house on the block on Bretton that also have been lost to the bank.

Kenyatta and his wife walked away from a monthly tax, insurance and mortgage payment of $2,600, one year before the interest would jump to 11.625 percent from 6.625 percent and the payment would hit $3,600. Kenyatta said that even though his monthly payment has remained the same for years, he felt it made no sense to remain in a house whose value had plummeted to $100,000.

He has no remorse, showing The News mortgage records that show he paid nearly $52,000 in interest and $9,124 in principal.

"We felt we had no choice," Kenyatta said.

Still, some neighbors aren't so understanding. Kenyatta said he's remained vigilant about upkeep, but neighbors say they can't remember the last time the walk or driveway was shoveled. Kenyatta said he only missed one storm.

"I don't know why people can't be more responsible," said Sonia Riddick, a neighbor. "If everyone would just quit when the going gets tough, then we'd just be a city of quitters."
It's a familiar problem throughout Michigan, which ranked sixth in the nation in foreclosures in February, with more than 12,500 filings, according to RealtyTrac, a California firm.

"This is a scary problem for all of us," said Carla Thomas, a past president of the North Rosedale Park Civic Association and now an executive board member. "I had heard about the problems the councilman was having."

Kenyatta said that the roughly $5,322 in annual property taxes are up to date.

"I don't think we're much different than many people in Detroit," he said.

"My wife loved this neighborhood. I loved walking the street. But we felt we had no choice."
According to the Secretary of State Office, Kwame and Monifa Kenyatta now list as their home an address in the 1400 block of Sheridan, a row of new construction on the east side between Grand Boulevard and West Village near Belle Isle. They share a wall with the home where state Rep. Coleman A. Young Jr. and his mother, Annivory Calvert, live.
Kenyatta said he and his wife are leasing the property, which sold for $295,000 in 2005, with an option to buy.

It was a good decision to run for mayor, then.  Detroit is one of two cities in the United States which has a mayoral mansion (the other being New York City.)  His slogan should be "Vote Kenyatta, Keep Kwame off the Street."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Brazen

Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2009, 03:06:09 PM
Late last night on Adult Swim I caught an episode of the Brit show "Look Around You", which is a spoof on semi-educational TV shows of the late 70s & early 80s.
Remember, never give a gypsy calcium,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/lookaroundyou/

Syt

QuoteKwame Kenyatta

How much more African could a name be?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

I got my score back on the economics paper I half assed. 18 out of 20. BOO FUCKING YA.

Work hard? I'd rather hardly work.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Quote from: Cindy Brady on March 17, 2009, 12:50:22 PM
I got my score back on the economics paper I half assed. 18 out of 20. BOO FUCKING YA.

You are: The new JR
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 17, 2009, 12:52:13 PM
Quote from: Cindy Brady on March 17, 2009, 12:50:22 PM

You are: The new JR

I should do what people do when they get a little book learnin' in them. Throw big words around and talk REAL LOUD.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Cindy Brady on March 17, 2009, 12:54:18 PM

I should do what people do when they get a little book learnin' in them. Throw big words around and talk REAL LOUD.

Don't forget claiming fake ancestry and trying to overthrow the government. You can start your own militia!
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

New avatar - it's bigger...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point