News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Posting at 2:14 pm. Home early so I can watch Napoli Chelsea.  :D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Lettow77

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

fhdz

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 21, 2012, 04:24:16 AM
I also just discovered that Gardetto's does a all rye chip bag.

:blink:
and the horse you rode in on

Lettow77

There is some concern amongst interested parties that our future space colony is becoming crowded with undesirables; there are whispers that the Southerners themselves are not equal to the task of being the primary caretakers of the world-ship, while the nations of the celtic congress will form a net drain

The best solution is astringent selection- out of millions, only hundreds will be allowed, and it is hoped that severe straining and careful selection will make Southerners worthy of their mandate for the coming neogenesis.

There is further rumbling that demands to know if the French as a whole deserve entrance, contrasted with Brittany and the Pied-Noirs, who are guaranteed admittance. It is unclear what Occitania's role will be, and the French question is the most vexing matter currently dominating European affairs.

At present, it suffices to say that the French (in some form), the Afrikaners, Southerners, Japanese, and the Celtic Congress Nations will be given admittance. Magyars were considered and rejected; an ill-augured people such as they would surely spell doom for the project.

By unanimous acclamation, all agree that the first city to be erected on our new world shall be an idealized re-creation of Venice, born again without its noxious odours or still more noxious italians.

Edit: Furthermore, there is a pressing and consistent agitator for Manchurian representation, citing numerous cultural and historical sources to suggest worthiness of the Worldship, and implicit in the demand is that a refusal equates to an unwarranted underrepresentation of the Orient. There are indeed fears that a Manchu presence would signal an unwelcome shift, and defend Japan's membership on the basis of Japan's westernization. Manchu participation ultimately seems likely, but the vocal protests of it's proponent have created an element of dissent.

Eddie Teach

Are the voices conducting a council now?  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Lettow77

Provisional (and subject to change) World-Ship representation is currently thus:

Southerners 25%
Japanese 25%
French* 20%
Irish 10%
Scottish 6%
Welsh 4%
Afrikaners- 10%

Admiral Yi

Today I found out that Barnes & Noble has an entire section for Teenage Paranormal Romance.  :lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2012, 04:47:06 PM
Today I found out that Barnes & Noble has an entire section for Teenage Paranormal Romance.  :lol:

What, you never saw that before?  It makes me weep.  I had no idea there were so many "Twilight" knock-offs.  :lol:

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2012, 04:47:06 PM
Seems to make sense, it's not like there are many normal teenagers frequenting Barnes & Noble.

Josquius

Ah Japan, efficient you are not.
How many Japanese does it take to change a lightbulb? 3. One to do the changing and two to hold flags and direct foot traffic around him.
Seriously I could see that happening.
This morning I encountered two council workers changing the flowers by the side of a pavement....and standing either side of them were two more council workers whose sole job was to direct pedestrians around them.
At every building site, no matter how big or small, its the same. Guys whose job is to wave little flags and direct traffic.
██████
██████
██████

Lettow77

I cut off most of my hair :(

I had enormously long hair, which had grown for over a year from an already longer-than-average start, but it had to be shorn off. I am now going to shave off my beard as well- the given sacrifice I offer freely to the sacred isles. I must have my passport, and I can't look too much like a hairy barbarian.

fhdz

Quote from: Tyr on February 21, 2012, 06:50:12 PM
Ah Japan, efficient you are not.
How many Japanese does it take to change a lightbulb? 3. One to do the changing and two to hold flags and direct foot traffic around him.
Seriously I could see that happening.
This morning I encountered two council workers changing the flowers by the side of a pavement....and standing either side of them were two more council workers whose sole job was to direct pedestrians around them.
At every building site, no matter how big or small, its the same. Guys whose job is to wave little flags and direct traffic.

We have flaggers here too...but they're for roads, not footpaths.

The Larch

Didn't buddharhubarb also mention the chronic overstaffing of many Japanese companies? IIRC he mentioned it when talking about banks, and how they seemed to be stuck in the 70s.

fhdz

Quote from: The Larch on February 21, 2012, 07:11:21 PM
Didn't buddharhubarb also mention the chronic overstaffing of many Japanese companies?

Isn't that largely a function of having such a high population on such a small land mass?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: fahdiz on February 21, 2012, 07:15:50 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 21, 2012, 07:11:21 PM
Didn't buddharhubarb also mention the chronic overstaffing of many Japanese companies?

Isn't that largely a function of having such a high population on such a small land mass?

I don't see why that would follow. More likely a case of not updating the business structure in a timely way.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers