Reported Coup Attempt in DR Congo - allegedly involving Americans

Started by Jacob, May 20, 2024, 11:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

QuoteKINSHASA, May 19 (Reuters) - The leader of an attempted coup on Sunday in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has been killed and some 50 people including three American citizens arrested, a spokesman for the Central African country's army told Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/democratic-republic-congo-army-says-it-stopped-attempted-coup-2024-05-19/

Rumours swirling about both CIA and Mossad involvement (because that's what people go to immediately, of course).

American citizens being involved is a bit unfortunate, though.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on May 20, 2024, 11:39:51 AMRumours swirling about both CIA and Mossad involvement (because that's what people go to immediately, of course).

Well that's unlikely. It wasn't successful.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on May 20, 2024, 08:54:38 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 20, 2024, 11:39:51 AMRumours swirling about both CIA and Mossad involvement (because that's what people go to immediately, of course).

Well that's unlikely. It wasn't successful.
Budget cuts have hurt them too.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

I'm honestly not too surprised some sort of westerner would be involved. It seems pretty typical these days for elites and connected folk of African states to have some western passport.

By all means if you know different, that these were old school white guy mercs, then that's fine. But my guess would be these are Congoese-Americans.

Rather than the CIA or Mossad, Rwanda would be a more likely place to point a finger of blame if there is any foreign involvement.
██████
██████
██████