News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I will need to see a bit more evidence than simply people being bothered by tens of thousands of dead civilians. But certainly the nature of some of those chants puts it on my radar.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Seems to me that there's a segment of the pro-Palestinian left wing that comes across as pretty antisemitic. I'm not certain how much is carelessness and somewhat incidental vs how much of it is deeply felt and central to their positions.

OttoVonBismarck

If I had to guess the general state of Jews in society feeds into an othering in the left and they simply don't ever process Jews as "minorities" or "oppressed" peoples. They internalize Jews as the "positive stereotype", wealthier than average, prominent in law, business, media etc. (Ignoring of course that this has always been exaggerated--most American Jews are not wealthy, and in Israel where a much larger % of the population is Jewish, the idea that all the Jews represent scions of some privileged economic status is farcical.) I think they also largely see Jews as "white guys", which is also troublesome because the "average" Israeli is about as white as the average Palestinian (which is to say--somewhat white, but often not having that Anglo-Saxon white oppressor look that they imagine the bad white people in America all have.)

TLDR people they see as landlords and bankers cannot be on the wrong side of oppression in society.

HVC

I'm more intrigued by the flip side, how conservatives embraced Jews/israel. From keeping them out of neighbourhoods and clubs to acceptance and support from the influence of a death cult.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on May 09, 2024, 07:02:26 PMI'm more intrigued by the flip side, how conservatives embraced Jews/israel. From keeping them out of neighbourhoods and clubs to acceptance and support from the influence of a death cult.

I think that's easy.

The idea of who is "white" has just expanded over time.  It used to be about excluding the catholics - you know the irish, the italians, the poles - and yes the Jews.  Over time though those groups have come to be embraced as being part of the white in-group, and now they're much more worried about keeping out the blacks, or the muslims, or whomever.  You know - the darkies.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on May 09, 2024, 07:02:26 PMI'm more intrigued by the flip side, how conservatives embraced Jews/israel. From keeping them out of neighbourhoods and clubs to acceptance and support from the influence of a death cult.

I think there are a few factors:

• Evangelical love for the holy land as the site of their pending end-of-times apocalypse. IIRC many Jews in Israel are going to "see the truth" when Jesus comes back during the end of times, so until then they should ideally be in Israel in readiness for the second coming. Something like that. Evangelicals have had a strong influence in North American right wing circles for quite a while.
  • The Israeli right wing has a robust approach to the use of force in their chauvinism which appeals to American right wing power fantasies.
  • Various forms of Islam is often cast as the enemy in right wing clash-of-civilization narratives. Those same forms of Islam also typically see themselves as enemies of Israel, so there's a "we hate the same enemies" thing going on there as well.

HVC

Did a little searching and found this. It's wiki, so you know...

QuoteA 2017 LifeWay poll conducted in United States found that 80% of evangelical Christians believed that the creation of Israel in 1948 was a fulfillment of biblical prophecy that would bring about Christ's return and more than 50% of Evangelical Christians believed that they support Israel because it is important for fulfilling the prophecy.[112

Wacky.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on May 09, 2024, 05:31:33 PMI will need to see a bit more evidence than simply people being bothered by tens of thousands of dead civilians. But certainly the nature of some of those chants puts it on my radar.
They were like that before the war in Gaza.  Remember all the statements in favor of the Hamas attacks just after October 7th?

QuoteSwarthmore College's SJP chapter released a statement on October 10, justifying Hamas's violence by saying, "Since early Saturday morning, Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank have valiantly confronted the imperial apparatus that has constricted their livelihoods for the past seventy-five years." The statement also said that "decolonization is far from a metaphor confined to the classroom" and that "There exists only a colonizer and colonized, an oppressed and an oppressor. To resist is to survive, and it is our right."

National Students for Justice in Palestine released a toolkit for their "day of action", describing the murders of Israeli civilians as "a historic win for the Palestinian resistance: across land, air, and sea, our people have broken down the artificial barriers of the Zionist entity." The organization added, "This is what it means to Free Palestine: not just slogans and rallies, but armed confrontation with the oppressors." 

https://www.adl.org/resources/blog/anti-israel-activists-celebrate-hamas-attacks-have-killed-hundreds-israelis
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

"Swarthmore College's SJP chapter" doesn't seem like a major or important organization.

Josquius

As well as the evangelical nuttiness about prophecies and such it is worth considering Nazi policy for most of their existence wasn't just to kill the Jews but rather to send them elsewhere where they couldn't interfere with the Aryans. The famous Madagascar Plan one of the more well known surfacings of this.

It does seem very ideologically consistent even with this most extreme of ultra conservative groups to support having the Jews far away. That they can create a west-friendly non-muslim state in the middle of the muslim world so much the better.

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 09, 2024, 06:55:17 PMIf I had to guess the general state of Jews in society feeds into an othering in the left and they simply don't ever process Jews as "minorities" or "oppressed" peoples. They internalize Jews as the "positive stereotype", wealthier than average, prominent in law, business, media etc. (Ignoring of course that this has always been exaggerated--most American Jews are not wealthy, and in Israel where a much larger % of the population is Jewish, the idea that all the Jews represent scions of some privileged economic status is farcical.) I think they also largely see Jews as "white guys", which is also troublesome because the "average" Israeli is about as white as the average Palestinian (which is to say--somewhat white, but often not having that Anglo-Saxon white oppressor look that they imagine the bad white people in America all have.)

TLDR people they see as landlords and bankers cannot be on the wrong side of oppression in society.

Its certainly true to say there's often a blindness of Jews as a minority. The Jews we have in the west are broadly very white and pretty much blend in. And this will be a factor in there being a bit of a disbelief in anti-semitism.
The rest though, no. Left wing distate for Israel is nothing to do with race and more policy.

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 09, 2024, 03:15:54 PMI apologize for moron.  I thought you were using land stealing in the same way that viper uses killing all Palestinians.  That kind of thing really works me up. I realized after I had posted that you were probably talking about the West Bank.  Still no excuse for calling you a moron.

Quote from: Josquius on May 09, 2024, 02:55:46 AMYou know, not everything in discussions is meant to be about trying to "rebut" what other people have said.

Its relevant as "decolonisation is just an excuse to hate white people. What about the crimes of others?" is frequently used as a smoke screen by those who don't actually have any interest in the crimes and you often do find foreign nationalists weirdly on the same side as progressives for our historic issues...yet when it comes to their historic issues things are very different.

Agree that not everything is a rebuttal.  But I can't think of any other response that shows good faith.

One other option is the straw man.  No need to explain, I hope.

Another is guilt by association.  This is not a debate of the merits, who' sole ingredients in my way of thinking are reason, logic, evidence and facts.

Another is accusation of bad faith, which is kinda close to guilt by association.  "You claim to oppose de-colonization for these reasons, but I believe you really oppose de-colonization because you want to eat Palestinian babies."

There's also "Yes and" and "Did you also consider this angle".

I'm not accusing you of anything here. Just speaking about attitudes to historic misdeeds in the world.
Its certainly valid to say if you want to moan about say the Amritsar  Massacre then the Hindutva scum bags will be standing shoulder to shoulder to go on about how awful the British were.... but talk about the Golden Temple Massacre and suddenly your erstwhile allies are very angry and against you.

We concentrate on the misdeeds of our own countries because that's our history, our issues. And we are majority white countries.
Some people will talk about how horrid other countries were in history out of good faith... but you also find way too many people who just want to use it as a stick to beat other groups with and won't use the same standards for their own group. This makes stepping into that criticism quite a minefield.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Solmyr on Today at 02:57:23 AM"Swarthmore College's SJP chapter" doesn't seem like a major or important organization.
Names a bunch of Chapters.  I didn't put all of them out.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Josquius on Today at 03:16:52 AM

As well as the evangelical nuttiness about prophecies and such it is worth considering Nazi policy for most of their existence wasn't just to kill the Jews but rather to send them elsewhere where they couldn't interfere with the Aryans. The famous Madagascar Plan one of the more well known surfacings of this.

The Madagascar plan was an extermination plan.  The survey done for the plan found that Madagascar could only support 10,000 people.  The rest would die.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Solmyr on Today at 02:57:23 AM"Swarthmore College's SJP chapter" doesn't seem like a major or important organization.

Don't be so dismissive; Sarah Jessica Parker still has lots of fans.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson