Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on Today at 10:46:57 AMThe Russians are attacking Kharkiv again. From the north, as has been hinted at for the past few weeks

As I said a page or two back and was shouted down.
Hopefully Ukraine was prepared enough for it. Opening new fronts does seem to be to Russia's advantage.
I guess/hope Russia are just doing this to try and grab all they can before Ukraine is fully rearmed rather than genuinely seeing serious opportunity for a breakthrough.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on Today at 10:54:52 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on Today at 10:46:57 AMThe Russians are attacking Kharkiv again. From the north, as has been hinted at for the past few weeks

Hopefully Ukraine was prepared enough for it. Opening new fronts does seem to be to Russia's advantage.
I guess/hope Russia are just doing this to try and grab all they can before Ukraine is fully rearmed rather than genuinely seeing serious opportunity for a breakthrough.

I'm not a military guy, but I'm not so sure.  Ukraine is the one defending, it's supply lines are short.  It's relatively easy for Ukraine to pull units from the south to the north.  Russia is attacking.  It's supply lines are long.  It's much further for them to move a unit from the south to the north.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on Today at 11:09:10 AM
Quote from: Josquius on Today at 10:54:52 AM

I'm not a military guy, but I'm not so sure.  Ukraine is the one defending, it's supply lines are short.  It's relatively easy for Ukraine to pull units from the south to the north.  Russia is attacking.  It's supply lines are long.  It's much further for them to move a unit from the south to the north.

Juggling units around the "bulge" of Ukraine would be a pain for them for sure.
However Russias supply lines are pretty short coming straight from Russia and most critically Ukraine has big manpower problems at the moment.
When you've got numbers but not quality then you need maximum contact points to push your advantage
██████
██████
██████