New Desktop Computer

Started by Monoriu, June 17, 2015, 10:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Good. Never turn that shit off.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on June 19, 2015, 10:52:46 AM
One more thing to consider is that, for certain reasons, my computer is on 24 hours a day, 6 days a week  :ph34r:  That's one of the reasons the previous power supply died.  I think.  Not sure if this has any implications. 
if you have a good power supply, it should not be a problem...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Norgy

If you are going to be messing around with your computer, a good, modular power supply is important. It saves a lot of trouble.

But I'd also be interested in your type of case.
Not to mention the make of your GTX 970.

I've got two 980s running games. One is cool as a cucumber (MSI's "Gaming" version", while my EVGA Superclocked with the ACX 2.0 cooler runs hotter easily. Some difference is to be reckoned with for the top card (the EVGA) but the fans just run a lot more quiet on MSI's offering. Probably one of the best custom coolers I have had.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on June 19, 2015, 08:40:49 AM
Edit: if you don't mind BT, these are some of the problematic files.  I can play them, of course, but it is a bit slow.

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=620864
have you tried their instructions?
http://files.nyaa.se/HOW_DID_I_PLAYED_BACK.txt

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2015, 10:57:04 PM
Edit: if you don't mind BT, these are some of the problematic files.  I can play them, of course, but it is a bit slow.

have you tried their instructions?
http://files.nyaa.se/HOW_DID_I_PLAYED_BACK.txt

No.  But you see, these aren't official versions.  They are made by fans.  Different people have different ways of "ripping" the files.  Some are better than the others.  Therefore, some files will be perfectly fine, while others are more difficult.  There isn't much I can do about that other than getting a powerful machine to brute force my way through.

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on June 18, 2015, 07:58:57 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 18, 2015, 07:09:14 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 18, 2015, 03:38:42 PM

It's not fully modular, it's most likely noisy, since you ask about reducing noise of your computer, and you need 850w to make the job a 650 would do because it can't deliver constant power on the 12v rail.

Buy a certified PS, way quieter than what you have, and save yourself trouble down the road.

My problem is that I buy everything from a shop, so I am limited by what they offer.  But I think you are right that their powersupply sucks, because in the past 4-5 years the powersupply went bust twice, and this is my third unit in this case. 

I deliberately picked a 850w powersupply though, not because a 650w powersupply would not be enough. 
750w with what I proposed you is enough for your needs.  You have tons of USB drives, but these have their own power supply.

I know you buy from a local shop, but they should be able to order it for you.  If not, I can recommend other brands too.  The basics is you need a certified power supply, look for stuff identified as 80+ Bronze.  Then look for big company names like Antec, Silverstone, Thermaltake.  If they can't find what I'm suggesting, ask them the brands they carry, and I'll find you something decent.  Tell them you don't care about price, only performance and low noise level.  You'd be my dream customer if I had a computer shop :P

Ok, I dug up the receipt for the powersupply.  The full description is

Super Flower Golden Green 850W 14CM Fan 80+ Gold Cable Management

I have no idea what that means, but I presume 80+ Gold is better than 80+ Bronze  :P

Monoriu

Quote from: Norgy on June 19, 2015, 03:18:04 PM
If you are going to be messing around with your computer, a good, modular power supply is important. It saves a lot of trouble.

But I'd also be interested in your type of case.
Not to mention the make of your GTX 970.

I've got two 980s running games. One is cool as a cucumber (MSI's "Gaming" version", while my EVGA Superclocked with the ACX 2.0 cooler runs hotter easily. Some difference is to be reckoned with for the top card (the EVGA) but the fans just run a lot more quiet on MSI's offering. Probably one of the best custom coolers I have had.

The case is NZXT H2-001-WT ATX Classic Series.  Whatever that means.

The 970 is made by someone that calls himself Inno3d. 

I'll get a new case anyway.  I need more USB 3.0 connections.

viper37

Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2015, 08:34:01 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 19, 2015, 08:31:25 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2015, 08:28:39 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 18, 2015, 11:45:24 PM
On the other hand the 970 is not ideal for some of the 1080p anime files that I watch. 
I don't understand this.  I have a HTPC at home, it has no video card, only the basic Intel video of the CPU, yet, I can see and watch movies/videos in 1080p with no problem.  How is it not ideal, what is the problem, what is the software you use to play your video files?

VLC player.  If I start from the beginning, there is no problem.  But if I want to watch a specific scene somewhere toward the end, for example, there is a very long wait.  Sometimes it crashes. 
Do you think you could upload one the problematic file to a file sharing service, say, like www.rapidgator.net?  I would like to try it on my own computer.
Did your problem lessen when you upgraded your video card?  I mean, where there files you were unable to play before and could now play with the 970?

Yes, the performance improved substantially when I upgraded to 970, that's why I believe further upgrading it will work.  Site requires registration.

I checked your link, and there's, like, 0 seeders...  And on "stardom", it says 1 fan.  Given you are a fan, I'm guessing you're the only one with it.  So, you wouldn't have one I can quickly download, don't you? :P

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2015, 11:21:54 PM

I checked your link, and there's, like, 0 seeders...  And on "stardom", it says 1 fan.  Given you are a fan, I'm guessing you're the only one with it.  So, you wouldn't have one I can quickly download, don't you? :P

Guess why I need to keep the computer on 24 hours a day, 6 days a week?  These things take time.  Most seeds aren't available 24/7.  You never know when they are available, and I won't be surprised if it takes weeks or months to finish BTing a series. 

And no, that lone fan is definitely not me. 

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on June 19, 2015, 11:09:20 PM

I have no idea what that means, but I presume 80+ Gold is better than 80+ Bronze  :P
80+ Bronze, Silver and Gold refer the power saving efficiency.  I don't know about electricity prices in HK.  someone in the US made a comparative I read once,  It takes about 15 years to get back on your investment at current US electricity prices.

So you buy this, not because it is quality, but because you have an hyper developped environmental conscience and you don't mind spending extra money on something with no utility but reducing power consumption by a tiny fragment, wich you believe will help the planet in the long run.

If you are that person, you are an impostor and please tells us what you did with the real Mono! :P

80+ Bronze is ok.  Next to check is reputable brand name.  Just looking at the web site tells me this company is not worth much, and you tell me you have had to change it 3 times before.  A good power supply is one that reduces variability in voltage.  It's advertised as 12v, but it's an average. If it delivers 10v and sometimes 14v, it's not good.  If it delivers 11.9-12.1, it is good.
See some reviews here, there are other sites too:
http://bestgamingadvisor.com/best-power-supply-for-gaming-pc/

I'm done arguing with you, it's your computer and your time.  You want to keep it, keep it.  Next time you come here asking for solutions on your computer problem, i'm gonna tell you straight away "change that power supply". :)

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on June 19, 2015, 11:26:36 PM

Guess why I need to keep the computer on 24 hours a day, 6 days a week?  These things take time.  Most seeds aren't available 24/7.  You never know when they are available, and I won't be surprised if it takes weeks or months to finish BTing a series. 

try to find a problematic one with lots of seeders please.  I'm willing to help you, but you got to work with me.  Or take one and upload it to Rapidgator like I said.  At the speed of your net connection it won't take long.  And I'll download it quick.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on June 19, 2015, 11:11:30 PM
This one?
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/inno3d-ichill-geforce-gtx-980-and-gtx-970.html

It looks good to me :)

A new case means 2x USB 3.0 connections on the front/top panel.  What goes behind is dependant on your board, how many USB 3.0 slots it has.

If you need more USB 3.0 slots, I recommend a USB 3.0 hub

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2015, 11:30:34 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 19, 2015, 11:09:20 PM

80+ Bronze, Silver and Gold refer the power saving efficiency.  I don't know about electricity prices in HK.  someone in the US made a comparative I read once,  It takes about 15 years to get back on your investment at current US electricity prices.

So you buy this, not because it is quality, but because you have an hyper developped environmental conscience and you don't mind spending extra money on something with no utility but reducing power consumption by a tiny fragment, wich you believe will help the planet in the long run.

If you are that person, you are an impostor and please tells us what you did with the real Mono! :P

80+ Bronze is ok.  Next to check is reputable brand name.  Just looking at the web site tells me this company is not worth much, and you tell me you have had to change it 3 times before.  A good power supply is one that reduces variability in voltage.  It's advertised as 12v, but it's an average. If it delivers 10v and sometimes 14v, it's not good.  If it delivers 11.9-12.1, it is good.
See some reviews here, there are other sites too:
http://bestgamingadvisor.com/best-power-supply-for-gaming-pc/

I'm done arguing with you, it's your computer and your time.  You want to keep it, keep it.  Next time you come here asking for solutions on your computer problem, i'm gonna tell you straight away "change that power supply". :)

I appreciate your advice, of course  :)

Actually, the powersupply that failed isn't the current one.  The current one is the replacement of the ones that failed.  The original one is XFX Pro850W Core Edition 850W 80+ B.  You won't believe what happened.  I just bought the new computer.  Wife put a bunch of wet clothes in the computer room, like dripping wet.  Then she switched off the computer without asking me.  I can't turn it back on no matter what.  I took it to the shop, and they say the powersupply died, probably due to humidity or something (I didn't tell them about the clothes, of course).  Since I just bought it a few days ago, they gave me a free replacement. 

The second time, it made a ton of noise.  So I took it to the shop again, and they said I needed to replace the powersupply.  I don't care about power savings, and didn't know what the 80+ Bronze, Silver of Gold meant.  I just bought whatever they sold me  :blush:

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2015, 11:31:55 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 19, 2015, 11:26:36 PM

try to find a problematic one with lots of seeders please.  I'm willing to help you, but you got to work with me.  Or take one and upload it to Rapidgator like I said.  At the speed of your net connection it won't take long.  And I'll download it quick.

Ok, give me some time to figure that out  :)

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2015, 11:38:37 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 19, 2015, 11:11:30 PM
This one?
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/inno3d-ichill-geforce-gtx-980-and-gtx-970.html

It looks good to me :)

A new case means 2x USB 3.0 connections on the front/top panel.  What goes behind is dependant on your board, how many USB 3.0 slots it has.

If you need more USB 3.0 slots, I recommend a USB 3.0 hub

That hub sounds like a good idea.  In that case I may save money by keeping the existing case.