News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Desktop Computer

Started by Monoriu, June 17, 2015, 10:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

or windows 10 with Microsoft Edge.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 16, 2015, 08:28:15 AM
or windows 10 with Microsoft Edge.

I thought it is called Spartan?  :unsure:

Syt

Quote from: Monoriu on July 16, 2015, 08:47:53 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 16, 2015, 08:18:10 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 15, 2015, 06:06:52 PM
I have IE 11 already.
Get Firefox and/or Chrome.

I won't go down without a fight  :P

Then your user experience will continue to suck.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

Quote from: Syt on July 16, 2015, 08:51:13 AM

Then your user experience will continue to suck.

I really don't feel anything wrong with IE until the most recent days.  If it doesn't break down, it is fine.  Must be the hardware upgrade.  It is my fault that it doesn't work. 

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Updated Windows and the flash player last night.  No issues with the video for now.

Some people say there is a very important plug-in called ActiveX.  But I can't seem to find it in the list of plug-ins that IE use.  Is that the reason why I have trouble, and should I find and install it?  :unsure:

viper37

ActiveX is kinda discontinued.  It still works for current IE releases, but it won't be used and supported for the next browser.

It is integrated into IE, you do not need to download and install anything.

There are however options you may change in IE, but I'm unsure if I should recommend them to you as they reduce the security of the browser and you insist on using such an unsecured piece of software.

Anyway. If you go to Options (in IE), then Security, then custom level, look for "ActiveX controls and plugins".
Filtering: Enable
Allow previously...: Disable
Allow scripltets: Prompt
Automatic prompting: Enable
Binary and script: Enable
Download unsigned: Disable
Initialize script not marked as safe: Prompt

Try these settings, see if they work for you.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

That night was scary.  I kept seeing the grey circle of death in all video boxes.  What's more, I saw IE completely broke down before my eyes.  The mouse began to slow down.  The IE windows loaded half a page, and had trouble loading the rest.  Out of place pixels appeared everywhere.  The upper part of the windows began to appear, but the lower half was missing.  Broken text everywhere.  Tons of windows tried to appear but failed to do so.  I had to go to sleep by then so I just left it there.

The next morning I saw the screen resolution revert to like 600x400.  Or lower.  The background was dark, there was a dialogue box telling me that Windows tried to restore itself but failed.  Do I want to revert to an earlier save or something.  I clicked no.  Then all I saw was a black screen.  I did the only thing I could do - removing the power cable. 

When I rebooted the computer, there was a large box saying that overclocking had failed, and I had to go to this BIOS thing.  I went in but did nothing.  Then it booted up normally. 

I will not move from my conviction that Microsoft is the best company in the world. 

viper37

If only you'd been born 500 years earlier, you'd have made one hell of an Inquisitor! :P

So, I don't think the CPU or GPU was actually overclocked, but there could be a problem with your liquid cooling system.
Or simply, there's a driver problem.  Or a malware infection.

Ok, first, we need to upgrade the BIOS.
Go there: https://www.asus.com/gr/Motherboards/X99A/HelpDesk_Download/
Select your OS, go to BIOS, download the file, extract its content to a USB flash drive.

Reboot the computer, go to BIOS, select "Advanced mode" in the first screen, than go to the last menu where you will see an option to flash the BIOS.  Follow these steps, don't reboot the computer until it tells you to.

Once you reboot, it will fail, giving you an error message saying you need to go to the BIOS.  It's ok, just do that, go the BIOS, find an option for "Load recommended settings" and than save&exit.  It will boot normally into Windows.

Other than that, if there is a problem at any steps further down, stop and report the problem.

Next we will upgrade the system drivers
Same page as before, we now download the latest file under the sections: chipset, audio, LAN, USB, utilities.
Install everything except "utilities", we will be back for this later.
During installation, whenever it asks you to reboot, do it.

Update your video card drivers:
Go to this page: http://www.geforce.com/driversSelect your appropriate model from the list, download and install the first file.

Back to utilities - part 1
ThatAsus utility file, now is time to install it, double-click on it, when you get a choice of what to install:
ASUS Dual Intelligent Processors 5
ASUS EZ Update
ASUS USB 3.1 Boost
ASUS USB BIOS Flashback

If at any time it asks you to reboot, do it.

Back to utilities - part 2
Repeat the same steps as before, but this time, you will only select ASUS AI Suite 3.
Follow the instructions, reboot when necessary.

Final step
Launch AI Suite and check the page that monitors system temp.  See if it tends to increase dramatically over time, just letting the comp. idle.

You can toy with overclocking too, but we'll leave it be for now, concentrate on getting a stable system.

Monoriu

Thanks viper, I appreciate that.  Since I updated Windows and the flashplayer, all the problems have gone. 

viper37

Flash for IE is updated with Windows Update, but an out of date version of Flash shouldn't be causing the problems you had.
Well, if it works, that's all good.  If you have any more problems in the future, follow the guide :)

Monoriu

Strange behaviour from IE again.  Grey circles and failure to load pages.  I am beginning to suspect that the problem is a conflict with the anti-virus.  When IE behaved strangely, I noticed there was a dialogue box where the anti-virus asked me if I really wanted to visit a website.  If I close that box, the problem goes away. 

viper37

are you sure the page you visit is safe?