News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Ornette Coleman

Started by The Minsky Moment, June 12, 2015, 09:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Almost a year to the day after Horace Silver died.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Capetan Mihali

Someone just emailed me this. :( 

He was more than just "jazz" though.  He was the shape of jazz to come.  He was something else.

When I saw him perform in 2004, he could still clear a Philadelphia gala season opening before the concert was halfway over.  I'm ashamed that I barely remember the music, but I do remember that his suit was incredible and that I was able to get a great seat after 20 or 30 minutes.

And R.I.P. Horace Silver, one of Connecticut's major cultural contributions of the 20th century.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Minsky Moment

I saw Horace Silver play a couple times - last time was 6-7 years back.  He was with some youngish sidemen and for nearly the entire show he let the kids take the lead.  Then the very last number he played an incredible extended solo.  Turned out he was just pacing himself . . . He wasn't an innovator the way Coleman was, or Coltrane, or Miles or Monk.  But he had this incredible talent of playing hot and cool at the same time - Sonny Rollins could do the same thing, probably the Carib influence.

Ornette Coleman I don't think I ever saw live.  There was a big tribute concert for him in Brooklyn last year but I missed it.  I agree with you that he can't be captured by the jazz category - especially in its present day Lincoln Center sense.

The majority of you languishites who wouldn't have anything to do with "jazz" should try out "Dancing in Your Head" - Ornette's experiment in 70s style electro-funk.  Then close your eyes and cue up Shape of Jazz to Come - it's really worth it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

EDIT: Yeah Cape Verde is not the Caribbean.  But the basic point still stands . . .
--Joan Robinson