News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Norway and Sweden upped their game so the Danish government sees it necessary to tighten asylum rules again so as not to be outdone.

Amongst other things are "adapt capacity in asylum lodgings to lessen strain on municipal finances". I think this is another wording for allowing municipal governments to raise tent camps or similar instead of being forced to rent expensive private homes for immigrants.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Liep on November 11, 2015, 07:24:25 AM
Norway and Sweden upped their game so the Danish government sees it necessary to tighten asylum rules again so as not to be outdone.

Amongst other things are "adapt capacity in asylum lodgings to lessen strain on municipal finances". I think this is another wording for allowing municipal governments to raise tent camps or similar instead of being forced to rent expensive private homes for immigrants.

cheaper facilities will obviously allow one to help more refugees/migrants. It's not like everyone has €20billion to burn like Germany.

Liep

Border control in effect in Sweden and it leaves Danish politicians in a rush to also put up a control. :sigh:

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

I don't know why it was out of question to have an EU-wide effort in manpower and money to facilitate the refugees in the countries they first entered.

I mean, I know: everyone else was happy it was not their problem on that given day, and couldn't care less what would happen the day after.

Welcome to the end of the Schengen treaty. Was nice while it lasted. Too bad it couldn't handle people exploiting it.

Josquius

Assuming there was a general EU agreement not to help any refugees: What then can be done?
It would take a Berlin wall quality highly manned fence to guarantee nobody gets in. So some will get in...then what? You can hardly fly them back to Syria; not even talking morally here, the logistics, cost and politics are no laughing matter.
Throw them back into the country they crossed from? Doubt Serbia/whoever would like that. And then what happens? They just keep passing them back until they get to Syria? Sounds expensive and someone on the line is sure to say "no".
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Aaaand I was right. They're building a tent camp for asylum seekers in Northern Jutland.

mongers

Quote from: Liep on November 13, 2015, 08:27:52 AM

Aaaand I was right. They're building a tent camp for asylum seekers in Northern Jutland.

Oh, that's got to be a bit draughty*.   :(

* Intentional British understatement, wintering in a tent in northern Denmark with the wind off-the North Sea or Baltic has to be brutal.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Police on the Serb-Croat border:

Seeing the picture I first thought this might be somewhere in (Northern) Germany. Name of the place: "Nijemci" :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

BTW I noticed there is some kind of political debate going on in Canada regarding accepting 25 000 Syrian refugees.

It is noble, but also kind of cute: that's like 5 days worth of intake for Europe, and it is a big deal over there.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on November 20, 2015, 04:45:39 AM
BTW I noticed there is some kind of political debate going on in Canada regarding accepting 25 000 Syrian refugees.

It is noble, but also kind of cute: that's like 5 days worth of intake for Europe, and it is a big deal over there.

Look at the reaction of some governors in the US over a mere 10,000. Not to mention they're whipping the easily distracted into a frenzy. "You know who else were refugees? The Boston bombers! You know who else was thoroughly vetted? The Ft. Hood shooter!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Meanwhile in the Balkans

QuoteBalkan countries will only open their borders to migrants fleeing the Middle East and Afghanistan, the UN says.
Macedonia and Serbia made the move after Slovenia informed them it would not accept "economic migrants", country officials said.
Hundreds of people are now stranded on borders.
Right-wing European politicians called for border closures following indications that one of the Paris attackers posed as a migrant.
Serbia implemented the move late on Wednesday, according to a spokeswoman for the UN refugee agency UNHCR, Melita Sunjic.
"As of 6pm yesterday evening, Serbia started turning back (to Macedonia) all but Syrians, Iraqis and Afghans," she said.
A police spokesman in Slovenia confirmed the country would return "economic migrants" entering through Croatia, only allowing entry to those "from countries where there are armed battles".

Thousands of migrants are thought to be gathered at the Greek-Macedonia border
The restrictions come after a Syrian passport - yet to be verified - was found next to the body of one of the perpetrators involved in Friday's attacks in Paris.
The passport was reportedly registered in the Greek island of Leros, and later in Serbia and Croatia.

Around 2,000 are now waiting to cross the border from Greece north into Macedonia, according to AFP.
The restrictions are likely to affect migrants from Eritrea which, after Syria, has the second largest number of people looking to move to Europe. The UN estimates that around 4,000 people leave Eritrea every month.
The Eritrean government says those who leave are economic migrants - but many claim to be fleeing military service.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34867239

Leros, last victorious German offensive of WWII in late 1943  :nerd:

Syt

An FPÖ member of parliament said in a speech that the refugees coming to Europe "are in the vast majority not engineers, but the Lumpenproletariat." When criticized she said that "Lumpenproletariat" is not disparaging but a normal technical term.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Since the FPÖ is using a marxist term, the Left should be happy. :)

Josquius

I've certainly read about doctors and engineers being amongst those coming.
In fact the migrants tend to be from the richer segments of society- they can afford to pay the traffickers.
██████
██████
██████