News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

How Hungary feeds its refugees: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=43&v=bRbmFYYbcyw

UNHCR says Hungary is now clearing out its camps and sends all refugees coming from Serbia straight to the Austrian border without registration.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on September 14, 2015, 08:04:19 AM

UNHCR says Hungary is now clearing out its camps and sends all refugees coming from Serbia straight to the Austrian border without registration.

Yes, which is what the refugees want so surely Marty must approve.

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on September 14, 2015, 04:40:41 AM
Are we being a bit too harsh on the Europeans?  I think they are extremely generous and nice.  They are under no obligation to help but they are helping.  They have done a lot but they don't seem to get much gratitude.  All the media is saying is they are callous and not going enough.

They have little choice in the matter.  Their security services are over whelmed, and they still live in by laws.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

State of emergency due to mass migration will probably be declared in Hungary tomorrow as new law comes into effect.

Also, you can tell its a party of lawyers running the country. Here is how it will go for the poor sods trying to enter:

-Crossing the border outside of a border crossing will be a crime (it was a felony earlier IIRC)
-You must apply for asylum at the border crossings
-They will ask the applicant if he/she has applied for asylum in Serbia already
-If the answer is no, their request is automatically rejected and they are deported back to Serbia
-If the answer is yes, well, the government has declared Serbia to be a safe country, so a yes to this means automatic rejection of the asylum request and being deported back to Serbia.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on September 14, 2015, 11:51:06 AM
State of emergency due to mass migration will probably be declared in Hungary tomorrow as new law comes into effect.

Also, you can tell its a party of lawyers running the country. Here is how it will go for the poor sods trying to enter:

-Crossing the border outside of a border crossing will be a crime (it was a felony earlier IIRC)
-You must apply for asylum at the border crossings
-They will ask the applicant if he/she has applied for asylum in Serbia already
-If the answer is no, their request is automatically rejected and they are deported back to Serbia
-If the answer is yes, well, the government has declared Serbia to be a safe country, so a yes to this means automatic rejection of the asylum request and being deported back to Serbia.

So is the point that any asylum application will be automatically rejected on formal grounds? That sounds like something violating the spirit of UN treaties, at the very least.

The Larch

They should rename those border crossings as deportation centers, then. Nobody is going to be able to get through with those requiriments. What is the point of asking a question if the end result is the same wether you answer yes or no?

Martim Silva

Quote from: The Larch on September 14, 2015, 12:06:31 PM
They should rename those border crossings as deportation centers, then. Nobody is going to be able to get through with those requiriments. What is the point of asking a question if the end result is the same wether you answer yes or no?

What will happen is simple: the migrants will avoid the border crossings and pass elsewhere that isn't guarded. Like the Mexicans do in the US.

And this is also why any European quotas or Schengen suspension will fail: the migrants will move where they want regardless, and the media will scream bloody murder at any attempt to deport them.

As an update, Sigmar Gabriel (SPD leader, Germany's vice-chancellor) just revised upwards the number of asylum seekers expected by the country from 800,000 to 1,000,000. In 2015 alone.

http://www.spd.de/aktuelles/130386/20150914_sg_mitgliederbrief.html

Syt

Quote from: Martim Silva on September 14, 2015, 12:11:45 PM
What will happen is simple: the migrants will avoid the border crossings and pass elsewhere that isn't guarded. Like the Mexicans do in the US.

No, they won't, because that would be a crime. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maximus

What is the difference between a crime and a felony in Hungary?

Martinus

Quote from: Maximus on September 14, 2015, 01:03:41 PM

I think Tamas may be confusing felony with a misdemeanour.

If Hungarian law is anything like Polish law (they should be as probably all are based on French, German and Austrian laws) then, Tamas, there are misdemeanours (aka petty offenses) and crimes, with the most serious crimes being considered felonies (so, jaywalking is a misdemeanour, bribery and murder are probably crimes, whilst murder is a felony as well).

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on September 14, 2015, 01:34:19 PM
Quote from: Maximus on September 14, 2015, 01:03:41 PM

I think Tamas may be confusing felony with a misdemeanour.

Yes  :blush:

Tamas

By they way my theory for the hysteric reaction of the Hungarian and polish public to the migrants is that if you think about it: these countries have had a lot of turmoil in their last couple of generations. Still they are quite uncertain places to live in, in many ways.

There have been one, and just one single stable point: a boring, but simple and comfortable single-culture environment in their countries.

now people fear that this one thing they felt was under control is being removed, or made uncertain and  unpredictable.

Martinus

Incidentally, I love the fact that the German chancellor is named Angela and her deputy is named Sigmar Gabriel.

Does Germany have: the Mandate of Heaven?

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on September 14, 2015, 01:41:26 PM
By they way my theory for the hysteric reaction of the Hungarian and polish public to the migrants is that if you think about it: these countries have had a lot of turmoil in their last couple of generations. Still they are quite uncertain places to live in, in many ways.

There have been one, and just one single stable point: a boring, but simple and comfortable single-culture environment in their countries.

now people fear that this one thing they felt was under control is being removed, or made uncertain and  unpredictable.

I think they are culturally nouveau riche - such people are the worst when it comes to helping others. People who have little or nothing are willing to help because they have nothing to lose; people who are rich are willing to help because they are secure in what they have. It's the nouveau riche who live under a false impression that they are the only ones to credit for what they gained (while it is quite untrue) are most stingy and mean.

Tamas