News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on August 27, 2015, 09:46:56 AM
I had one run-in with a decomposing body as archaeologist and it was sufficient.

?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

So, yeah, the coroners have retrieved more than 70 bodies from the truck. It's estimated that they've been dead for at least two days, so they probably died before reaching Austria (the truck was seen early Wednesday morning near the border in Hungary). The refrigerated truck was branded for a Slovakian chicken farm, but they say the sold their trucks to Hungarians.

It seems that the refugees tried to escape from the truck (doors dented and cut at from the inside), so there's a good chance they suffocated in the truck.

And just to illustrate how "big" the truck is:

Over 70 people crammed inside it (men and women, reportedly no children).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

:(

In related news a boat sunk near the  Libyan coast with 200 feared dead.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

It was 59 men, 8 women and 4 children, most likely from Syria as a Syrian passport was found. The doors show signs of them fighting to get out.  :cry:

Three Bulgarians have been arrested in Hungary for alleged human trafficking.

Tamas

Couple more grand plans from the bills prepared to manage the situation in Hungary:

-There would be a transit zone created on the Serbian border. As I understand, this would be a kind of legal "no mans land" for migrants/refugees: All processing of their asylum requests and such would be done in the transit zone, so until that is done they would have no right to enter Hungary proper.

-There would be a "Mass Migration Caused Crisis Situation" that the government could declare country-wide. What extra powers that would grant them, I haven't read.

Tamas

Also there will be 3 new/changed crimes added to criminal law:

-illegal border crossing
-damaging of border block (sorry, can't figure out proper translation of it off top of my head, but they mean the fence, in practice)
-interfering with construction of border block

The first one, illegal border crossing, was already a crime during the Cold War. It has been just a felony since.
Migrants/refugees caught doing it will be expelled (is that the right word?) from the country, not imprisoned.

Tamas

Syt

While there's protests/resistance to asylum seekers in most of Germany to some extent (but also a willingness to help them), Saxony is the state with the highest activity in that regard. Even though they have the lowest refugees per capita count.

(The colors are not related to the numbers.)
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

So many in Berlin, so few in Bavaria...

Valmy

Syrians: Building a Better Bremen.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Those ratios coincide pretty closely with my opinion on which areas of Germany are the most tolerant.

derspiess

My ancestors were North German, but I'd probably fit in better in Bavaria.  They seem to have all the fun anyway.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

Quote from: Syt on August 28, 2015, 09:30:15 AMEven though they have the lowest refugees per capita count.

Same story here, the hatred is biggest where there are fewest immigrants.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk