And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on August 19, 2015, 03:06:23 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on August 19, 2015, 03:04:18 PM
You must be kidding. What kind of stimulus you think an uneducated Somali will provide in a country with 15-25% unemployment?
The money he is given to live off.
And the funding that will be put into the various support programmes.

(also unemployment actually tends to be less of a problem in several eastern european countries than in many western european countries. Some areas actually have problems due to the amount of young workers that have gone to seek work in the west.)

Cry me a river. Last I checked hungary has around 10% unemployment and that does NOT include the masses "employed" on "communal work" by councils for half the minimum wage.

UK has 3% unemployment IIRC. That's basically "if you want to be employed, you are" territory

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on August 19, 2015, 03:35:27 PM
Cry me a river. Last I checked hungary has around 10% unemployment and that does NOT include the masses "employed" on "communal work" by councils for half the minimum wage.

UK has 3% unemployment IIRC. That's basically "if you want to be employed, you are" territory
Well that's just bollocks. Official figures in the UK are 5.5 and that includes a lot of number fudging to bring it down.

And this doesn't really work on a national scale. Its far more regional. In Poland the problem is big enough for the national government to get involved but the main impacts tend to be seen on a local scale.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on August 19, 2015, 03:06:23 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on August 19, 2015, 03:04:18 PM
You must be kidding. What kind of stimulus you think an uneducated Somali will provide in a country with 15-25% unemployment?
The money he is given to live off.
And the funding that will be put into the various support programmes.

(also unemployment actually tends to be less of a problem in several eastern european countries than in many western european countries. Some areas actually have problems due to the amount of young workers that have gone to seek work in the west.)

Okay, you need to work with me here.  We have money given to uneducated Somalis (presumably by the government though I suppose private charity is a also a possibility), and this somehow funds various support programs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

The Cameron government is behaving rather shabbily over this refugee crisis. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Quote from: mongers on August 19, 2015, 09:33:18 PM
The Cameron government is behaving rather shabbily over this refugee crisis.

mongers! :hug:

But yeah,  all governments look bad at the moment when it comes to refugees.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

citizen k

Syt

Either way - more will be coming. Even if we build Iron Curtain 2.0 and mine the Mediterranean to the point you could walk from mine to mine from one end to the other, people will find a way in. EU needs to figure out how to deal with it, beyond the knee jerk reaction of "not in my back yard!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Archy

Indeed we need a Final Solution forthis  :mad:  ;)

Grallon

Quote from: Syt on August 20, 2015, 12:08:29 AM
Either way - more will be coming. Even if we build Iron Curtain 2.0 and mine the Mediterranean to the point you could walk from mine to mine from one end to the other, people will find a way in. EU needs to figure out how to deal with it, beyond the knee jerk reaction of "not in my back yard!"

Do any of these people represent any sort of plus value for whichever country is saddled with them?  Other than social security burdens, petty crimes and terrorism of course?  Let them in and kill them here; word will spread quickly and I predict the flow of migrants will stop very quickly.  Oh but I forget, nobody has the cojones to really solve any problems anymore.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Syt

"G", feel free to go ahead and kill immigrants in your country if you have the cojones to "solve the problem."
—Stephen Jay Gould

Norgy

Quote from: Grallon on August 20, 2015, 06:30:28 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 20, 2015, 12:08:29 AM

Do any of these people represent any sort of plus value for whichever country is saddled with them?  Other than social security burdens, petty crimes and terrorism of course?  Let them in and kill them here; word will spread quickly and I predict the flow of migrants will stop very quickly.  Oh but I forget, nobody has the cojones to really solve any problems anymore.

G.

I think we've seen enough "final solutions to question <a> or <b>" the last hundred years.
And to be honest, that kind of hyperbole and hatred sounds a lot like the terrorist who murdered children for fun at a Labour youth camp in Norway.

Migration is as deeply ingrained in humanity as the need to eat. The two usually follow each other.

Tamas

Also I wonder if the situation politics-wise in Europe is the same as in Hungary:

namely, that the vast majority of the population is worried about this never before seen amount of migrants. Yes, the loud ones hate on them etc. But even those who don't are worried to different degrees. Maybe just about wether the government's resources are enough to handle the issue in a civilised matter, or indeed worried about the effect a huge number of decidedly different cultured people can have on their daily lives.

And while you CAN blame the ruthless xenophobes, you can't blame the general concern as a whole, I believe. Most coins have two sides, let alone this one, which is showing all signs of turning into a historic migrational wave.

Now, what happens in Hungary is that only the two extreme possible opinions are given voice. The government and the far right are violently and viciously anti-immigrant, nowadays to a degree that starts to put 1930s anti-Jew sentiments to shame.

How the opposition reacts, however, is refusing to discuss the thing and to acknowledge potential issues: in their correspondence, its a wave of helpless victims and no resource should be spared in making sure all their needs are catered for in the quickest manner.

So I am wondering if refusing to acknowledge and address (as in, dismiss in a logical manner, or offer solutions) common concerns by the left and liberals, they are TOTALLY conceding the ground to the radicals, because they are the only ones who are even willing to acknowledge there is a cause for concern for whatever reason.

derspiess

I see why you guys would latch on to the "killing" part of his post as it's pretty outrageous, but I'm interested to hear what you have to say about his initial point-- "Do any of these people represent any sort of plus value for whichever country is saddled with them?"
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Macedonia has declared a state of emergency because of the tens of thousands of refugees pouring over the border from Greece and will use the army to close themselves off.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Albanians and Macedonian Slavs unite at last! :)