Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2015, 04:15:39 PM
Quote from: Tyr on June 23, 2015, 04:11:45 PM
How odd. Why so many in Hungary? :blink:

Maybe ethnic Hungarians from former Yugoslavia?  Only possible explanation I can think of.

That's really more of a lateral move.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

The map basically just shows who takes the most refugees relative to population. If there was a proper quota system in place it should obviously also take into account the logistic situation in each country. E.g. Germany And Austria are better equipped to deal with boat loads of refugees than Romania and Croatia.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Maybe ethnic Hungarians from former Yugoslavia?  Only possible explanation I can think of.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

All that is missing are the D-Day landings.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

And the Hungarians have reversed their decision.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on June 24, 2015, 12:35:49 AM

Serb fail.
But still seems odd.
Croatia is there too. And that the Yugoslav borders would be so easy... Greeks are letting them go?
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on June 24, 2015, 09:27:11 AM
Greeks are letting them go?

I think we can pretty safely assume that is the case.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Quote from: Liep on June 24, 2015, 09:30:48 AM

This is the Greeks. They could be trying but falling foul of corruption or just plain failing
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on June 24, 2015, 09:33:54 AM
Quote from: Liep on June 24, 2015, 09:30:48 AM

This is the Greeks. They could be trying but falling foul of corruption or just plain failing

True.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 23, 2015, 04:44:22 PM

and surprising so few for the south

If you're going to smuggle yourself, might as well go to a successful country.

Again, why so many in Hungary?  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 24, 2015, 01:54:13 PM

Still better than Kosovo, Iraq or Syria, I guess.

derspiess

A lot of Kosovar (?) refugees ended up in Argentina-- during one of their financial crises.  I remember looking at them and thinking man, you really fucked up coming here.  Still a little better, I suppose.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

Quote from: The Larch on June 24, 2015, 01:55:48 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 24, 2015, 01:54:13 PM

Still better than Kosovo, Iraq or Syria, I guess.

Isn't Hungary a part of Schengen? Once you're in you're not going to meet a border until you're in Denmark or Sweden.

But if you're detected you have to stay in Hungary, a big risk. :P

Syt

Following the G7, Bavaria is intensifying its opst border controls. 1400 plainclothes cops will check travellers along the main entry roads from Czech Rep. and Austria. Their mandate is to verify the ID of anyone, with or without suspicion. Other border states are doing similar (and Bavaria has done this for years on smaller scale).
—Stephen Jay Gould