Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on January 15, 2016, 06:30:47 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 15, 2016, 01:39:28 PM
yli may be right Berk.

But I just can't be that optimistic. I come from a country where the population has been divided between west and east for more than a thousand years, and the westerners always lost, eventually.

Which ones were the westerners?

The Austrians.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Zanza

Quote from: PJL on January 15, 2016, 06:18:17 PM
Given past trends and migrations, it would seem reasonable to expect migration levels from Africa & the Middle to Europe of up to 6-7 million migrants a year from Africa and the Middle East for the next 50 years. That alone would effectively increase European population levels by 50% within that time period. Which is going to make integration difficult to say the least.
We have never had anywhere near that number of migrants from there, so which past trends and migrations do you refer to?

Zanza

Quote from: Razgovory on January 15, 2016, 06:26:37 PM
Try to think more along the lines of Yugoslavians fleeing the Balkan wars in the 1990's.  What happened then, and what did Europeans do about it?
Anecdotally I would say they integrated fairly well. I have three colleagues with an "-ic" name. I think they are all from Bosnia.
The one I know best is a female, dressing very chic and the only noticeable thing about her faith is that she doesn't eat pork and doesn't go for lunch breaks during Ramadan. When she speaks to me, she uses high German, but when she speaks to her Bosnian husband, she uses the Swabian dialect of German. At least language wise she is better integrated in Southern Germany than I am...

Duque de Bragança

Schwäbisch...  :bleeding: Even the oft-criticised Bavarian is more intelligible.

More importantly, not all Bosnians are muslims. Interesting enough, before the Balkan Wars even most Muslims there were muslim in name only: pork, alcohol and Ramadan only for the big party at the end.

Syt

Speaking of a Baden-Württemberg: a 62 year old peace activist from that state sued the State of Bavaria. During the last Security Conference in Munich, Bavarian police stopped their bus (on a way to the protest), searched everyone and took photos of all passengers. The activist said that the police overstepped their boundaries and made her miss the protest.

The judge said that the measures were fine, because there had been reports of possibly violent protestors coming from Baden-Württemberg to Bavaria, although the police neglected to tell the protesters that they were free to go when the procedure was done, causing a delay.

Some activists were among the audience and complained about the harsh treatment by Bavarian police. The judge replied that they shouldn't come to Bavaria then. She added that if she looked at what happened in Cologne, there are clear advantages to living in Bavaria.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on January 16, 2016, 06:27:44 AM
Speaking of a Baden-Württemberg: a 62 year old peace activist from that state sued the State of Bavaria. During the last Security Conference in Munich, Bavarian police stopped their bus (on a way to the protest), searched everyone and took photos of all passengers. The activist said that the police overstepped their boundaries and made her miss the protest.

The judge said that the measures were fine, because there had been reports of possibly violent protestors coming from Baden-Württemberg to Bavaria, although the police neglected to tell the protesters that they were free to go when the procedure was done, causing a delay.

Some activists were among the audience and complained about the harsh treatment by Bavarian police. The judge replied that they shouldn't come to Bavaria then. She added that if she looked at what happened in Cologne, there are clear advantages to living in Bavaria.

Sorry, but it's not clear - what side they were on?

Martinus

So is this "Taharrush" thing an urban myth? I saw it mentioned by someone and there are pages on it on wikipedia (marked for deletion due to bias) but it is, strangely enough, not available in English. Here's the German version (there are also Danish, French and few others).

https://translate.google.pl/translate?hl=pl&sl=en&u=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taharrush_gamea&prev=search

:huh:

Liep

You link to the English version...
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martinus

Quote from: Liep on January 16, 2016, 02:57:27 PM
You link to the English version...

Sorry I linked to Polish (not English).

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martinus

Liep

#frikadellegate* is trending on Twitter here. A city council ruled that all the public institutions (kindergartens, schools) in the city has to serve pork as part of their offered meals. The reason? We must not bow down to Islam. That was the only reason.

Frikadelle is a pork meatball.

Josquius

I raised the question yesterday why switzerland doesn't seem to be getting any of this.  A friend who pays attention to switzerland said politicians have spoken about this on tv- they're quite relieved about it and say it is down to switzerlands image meaning nobody is tempted.... people assume it's all a frozen snowy wilderness?

Liep- pig farming is a pretty big part of the Danish economy too right?
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on January 19, 2016, 02:59:57 AM
I raised the question yesterday why switzerland doesn't seem to be getting any of this.  A friend who pays attention to switzerland said politicians have spoken about this on tv- they're quite relieved about it and say it is down to switzerlands image meaning nobody is tempted.... people assume it's all a frozen snowy wilderness?

Liep- pig farming is a pretty big part of the Danish economy too right?

Getting any of what? Anti-immigration politics? They have been on this long before the curve - the popular racist/anti-immigrant poster with black crows tearing a country apart, that is now used in many right wing propaganda across Europe originated in Switzerland. God, must you be so unaware on every single issue?

Josquius

██████
██████
██████