Billionaires sue the Government for bailing them out, and they just might win.

Started by jimmy olsen, June 10, 2015, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

It's really kind of funny - the idea that Hank Greenberg is some innocent naif being manipulated by his lawyer into making claims.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 11, 2015, 09:46:39 AM
It's really kind of funny - the idea that Hank Greenberg is some innocent naif being manipulated by his lawyer into making claims.
That is a mischaracterization of my post.  You are a liar, and a villain.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Dude has balls just daring to call himself "Hank Greenberg".  Like he's done anything half as great as the original.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on June 11, 2015, 10:20:32 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 11, 2015, 09:46:39 AM
That is a mischaracterization of my post.  You are a liar, and a villain.

:jaron:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Of course.  What else is there for us to do but talk?  It's not like the problems of the world can be solved.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2015, 08:18:28 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 11, 2015, 01:22:25 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 11, 2015, 01:18:07 AM
People want revolutions and destruction of the current system, but I am not sure what the new world order should be.

There doesn't need to be a revolution, the laws and regulations just need to be tightened up to the standards that existed 20-30 years ago.

Also, CEOs and their minions need to be held accountable to the law, even if the corporation is too big (they should be broken up) to fail doesn't mean we can't punish the people who fucked it up.

We had a very similar crash in the 1980's.  You need to go back to the early 1960's to get proper standards.

The problem isn't that we have crashes, the problem is that we've gotten to the point that the government bails out those responsible instead of letting them fail.  "Proper standards" isn't criminalizing bad business decisions, it's letting those who make such decisions suffer the consequences.

Neil

How do you allow them to fail while at the same time avoiding mass unemployment and financial instability, which governments want to keep a good eye on?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on June 11, 2015, 09:31:36 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 11, 2015, 08:16:44 AM
When the revolution comes, the shameless finance types are really a secondary target.  The group that must be utterly destroyed are the lawyers.  They are the ones who have twisted society.  They are the ones who have convinced everyone that 'not illegal' and 'morally unimpeachable' are the same thing.  They have twisted the meaning of the word 'ethics' to suit their own purposes.  They have used litigiousness and organization to insert themselves into every sphere of human endeavour.  The only option is to round them up, execute the ringleaders, scrap the entire existing work of law and start over.  In this new world, there will be no attourneys gathering power and counseling people, sprinkling their poison into the heart of mankind.  Judges and inquisitors will determine fault and resolve disputes.

All these CEOs and other villains are just a symptom.  They were convinced by their lawyers that their tricks have put them beyond justice.  Once you remove the toxic influence of the lawyers and the laws they have written, we can start to hold people to account.

:jaron:

I think you may have missed his point.  Under Neil's proposal, your kind of lawyer might be elevated to a Judge-Inquisitor.  :)

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on June 11, 2015, 04:00:19 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2015, 08:18:28 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 11, 2015, 01:22:25 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 11, 2015, 01:18:07 AM
People want revolutions and destruction of the current system, but I am not sure what the new world order should be.

There doesn't need to be a revolution, the laws and regulations just need to be tightened up to the standards that existed 20-30 years ago.

Also, CEOs and their minions need to be held accountable to the law, even if the corporation is too big (they should be broken up) to fail doesn't mean we can't punish the people who fucked it up.

We had a very similar crash in the 1980's.  You need to go back to the early 1960's to get proper standards.

The problem isn't that we have crashes, the problem is that we've gotten to the point that the government bails out those responsible instead of letting them fail.  "Proper standards" isn't criminalizing bad business decisions, it's letting those who make such decisions suffer the consequences.

I'm not keen on having 25% unemployment.  That's when people do seriously talk about revolutions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

The government didn't bail out Hank Greenberg. It bailed out AIG. Hank Greenberg the AIG shareholder lost a fortune during the financial crisis.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on June 11, 2015, 09:27:11 PM
The government didn't bail out Hank Greenberg. It bailed out AIG. Hank Greenberg the AIG shareholder lost a fortune during the financial crisis.
He would have lost it all if the government hadn't intervened.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2015, 10:39:30 AM
Dude has balls just daring to call himself "Hank Greenberg".  Like he's done anything half as great as the original.

I guess he figured if he went by his real name, people would expect him to speak of the pompitous of love.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?