Syt's Pictorial Collection of Stuff and Things (image heavy)

Started by Syt, June 07, 2015, 02:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2016, 07:37:20 AM
Wow. Growing up in the 50s looks horrifying.

On the other hand there were no blacks in the 50s. They weren't invented until the late 1960s by the left wing liberal media elite.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

I'm more freaked out by the one gleefully watching the blood of the vanquished being spread on her toast.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

I'd post pics of 70's jello dishes, but even I'm not that cruel.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

http://www.vintag.es/2017/01/naser-al-din-shah-qajar-and-his-84.html

QuoteNaser al-Din Shah Qajar and His 84 Wives: Rare Photographs and Story of the Iranian Shah and His Harem

In 1842 the 11 year-old heir to the Persian throne received a camera from Queen Victoria of England. The young heir fell in love with the magical contraption. In the following decades he documented his life, revealing to the public eye, what it was never supposed to see.

One of Shah Qajar's many passions was photography. From his early days he loved to take photos from his childhood, and when he came to power he decided to create the world's first official photo studio at his court.

In the 1870s, Russian photographer Anton Sevryugin opened a workshop in Tehran. He became official photographer to the Persian court. Sevryugin made a photographic record of Persia, and he was awarded an imperial title for his services.

The Russian photographer could take pictures of the Shah himself, as well as his male relatives, courtesans and servants. Qajar reserved for himself the right to photograph the harem, in which historians believe he had approximately 100 concubines.

It is known that Naser al-Din Shah developed the photos in a darkroom at the court and kept them in large albums in the Golestan palace, which is now a museum.

What makes these photographs extraordinary is that Shiia custom of the time forbade the photography of peoples' faces, especially those of women. Only the most powerful man in the country could afford to break this custom.

The incomparable Anis al-Doleh was the Shah's favourite wife. (On the right)

Plumpness was one of the main criteria of beauty

Young concubine with a hookah.

Anis al-Doleh, known as the Shah's soulmate

The incomparable Anis al-Doleh (sitting).

[...]

Ladies from the harem in 'shaliteh' skirts.

[...]

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Archy

CountDeMoney

It's as if the Shah went into the future, developed a Breshnev fetish, and then took it back in time with him.

Syt

Or, instead of Brezhnev, he was inspired by Monty Python.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould