Syt's Pictorial Collection of Stuff and Things (image heavy)

Started by Syt, June 07, 2015, 02:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

The British Museum was just about bearable, but I'm kicking myself for not having visited during lockdown, when international travel was banned; I wonder if it was like how I remember it from 30 years ago?
You cannot see attachments on this board.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Nice pictures :cheers:

I did enjoye the Tower when I went years ago, but you have to accept you're going into a tourist zone. I think it helped that I was with someone very unversed in history in general, and even less familiar with English history. That way, even the most basic stuff was interesting ("they chopped her head off?!?!?! Right over there?!?!?") and allowed me to feel intelligent as I could help contextualize things a bit for my friend.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on May 04, 2023, 12:03:06 PMNice pictures :cheers:

I did enjoye the Tower when I went years ago, but you have to accept you're going into a tourist zone.
I think it helped that I was with someone very unversed in history in general, and even less familiar with English history. That way, even the most basic stuff was interesting ("they chopped her head off?!?!?! Right over there?!?!?") and allowed me to feel intelligent as I could help contextualize things a bit for my friend.

Thanks.

Yes you're right, best to accept and go with the flow of tourism, literally in the White Tower's case.

What surprised me was in comparison with the Tower, just over the Thames HMS Belfast was deserted, maybe 10-20 other visitors during my 1-1.5 hours time there.

Well worth a visit as it's a good size WW2 ship to thoroughly explore, whereas I guess some of the larger preserved US battleships/carriers have almost too much to see? :unsure:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

I am aware that Emperor Karl I of Austria is beatified (and moving towards sainthood, see Orlando Sentinel: Baptist woman from Kissimmee edges Austro-Hungarian emperor toward Roman Catholic sainthood), I actually visited his tomb when I visited Madeira in 2008. More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_I_of_Austria#Beatification

Still, stuff like this is weird. :D

https://www.reddit.com/r/austriahungary/comments/13dxz4b/new_shrine_for_bl_karl_in_tampa_fl_usa/

QuoteNew shrine for Bl Karl in Tampa, FL USA

Relic was blessed by Bishop Schneider at his visit this past weekend. We are hoping to build a new church in the near future so couldn't make a more beautiful or permanent shrine, but we are so honored to be able to spread the devotion of this great man in our corner of the world.

If you'd like to visit a shrine in your area, it seems this site has a list (not sure if up to date):

https://www.emperorcharles.org/shrines-and-relics

:pope:  :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Maybe I am being too hard on ol' Charles but it is hard for me to look at his actions during and after the war and think "now there is a man of inspiring holiness."

It isn't like he was a monster or anything but I can think of a few more noble things he might have done than what he did.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on May 10, 2023, 03:18:32 PMMaybe I am being too hard on ol' Charles but it is hard for me to look at his actions during and after the war and think "now there is a man of inspiring holiness."

It isn't like he was a monster or anything but I can think of a few more noble things he might have done than what he did.

To quote Pope JP2:

QuoteThe decisive task of Christians consists in seeking, recognizing and following God's will in all things. The Christian statesman, Charles of Austria, confronted this challenge every day. To his eyes, war appeared as "something appalling". Amid the tumult of the First World War, he strove to promote the peace initiative of my Predecessor, Benedict XV.[37]

According to Wiki, the peace plan was:
Quote(1) the moral force of right ... be substituted for the material force of arms, (2) there must be simultaneous and reciprocal diminution of armaments, (3) a mechanism for international arbitration must be established, (4) true liberty and common rights over the sea should exist, (5) there should be a renunciation of war indemnities, (6) occupied territories should be evacuated, and (7) there should be an examination of rival claims. The best outcome to the war, according to Pope Benedict XV, was an immediate restoration of the status quo without reparations or any form of forced demands.

I'm about to head to bed, so not going to verify/cross reference if this is a fair depiction of Karl or B15's peace plan, but if it is, then - gee, wonder why Karl liked the proposal. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

The signing of the Korean War armistice in 1953:

And in North Korean art:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

DGuller

Really, everyone on NK side was clapping in unison?  They didn't even try to make it believable, did they?

Sheilbh

On Habsburgs :lol:
QuoteLuka Ivan Jukic
@lijukic
How fitting that the House of Habsburg's role in Central European history ended not with a bang, but struggling against a distant and impenetrable Austrian bureaucracy
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

RH made the joke about 1980s Sheffield ("Sheffield's been nuked?" - "How could they tell?") in the Elon Musk thread, and today I randomly come across the pictures of Raymond Depardon, taken in Glasgow 1980.  :ph34r:

I had a colleague from Glasgow; he was 10 years older than me, which would make him ca. 13/14 in 1980. I guess I can finally relate what he meant when he said that Glasgow was a dump when he was growing up. :bowler:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Richard Hakluyt

Yes indeed, thinking back to Shielbh's post in the brexit thread about the "Boratisation" of the UK and the willingness to put up with mediocrity or worse (from a Bagehot article in the Economist); for people of my age the progress made since the 1970s and 80s is incredible and I wonder if this partly explains current British contentment with second-rate goods and services? I am not content as I lived abroad a lot when I was a youngster and knew things could be better but many/most other people my age did not have that opportunity.

I was very pissed off with how crappy the UK was when we returned in 1964 and happy when we returned to Germany (central heating, beer gardens which allowed kids, nicer food) in 1966  :bowler:

HVC

So this is the glorious past over 50% of the uk wants to get back to?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 09, 2023, 07:03:37 AMYes indeed, thinking back to Shielbh's post in the brexit thread about the "Boratisation" of the UK and the willingness to put up with mediocrity or worse (from a Bagehot article in the Economist); for people of my age the progress made since the 1970s and 80s is incredible and I wonder if this partly explains current British contentment with second-rate goods and services? I am not content as I lived abroad a lot when I was a youngster and knew things could be better but many/most other people my age did not have that opportunity.

I was very pissed off with how crappy the UK was when we returned in 1964 and happy when we returned to Germany (central heating, beer gardens which allowed kids, nicer food) in 1966  :bowler:

Tbh, those pics look not unlike what some East German cities looked like in the 80s. E.g. Rostock in 1989: https://www.spiegel.de/geschichte/rostock-1989-schonungslose-fotos-der-altstadt-a-959131.html#fotostrecke-67358921-0001-0002-0000-000000112300
—Stephen Jay Gould